Malted LV.21 S
Sep 14, 2018, 12:38 PM 605 read

Interview with Richard Garfield

I found this great article interviewing Richard on the conception of Artifact and what inspired him. Definitely a good read:

The most interesting point to me in the article is how Richard felt about electronic card games. In short, he says that he felt the current popular online card games are too simple. He would play a game of MTG and have a board of 30 creature tokens that cannot be replicated on screen. Essentially that's what drove him to make Artifact as complicated as it is, cause he wants to replicate the same feeling of playing on paper in the virtual world.   There was a part in the article that confused me a bit. I remember reading something a while back stating how Dota wasn't needed to create Artifact. Richard had already came up with the idea for his online card game, Dota characters and lore just happened to be a good fit. The article says Dota was a big influence to Artifact... so I'm guessing the older information is wrong?

Comment 5

• LongStrangeTrip LV.24 Mootiversary! Sep 14, 2018, 02:04 PM

I haven't read anything about Richard Garfield saying Dota wasn't needed to make Artifact, but what I think here is that he might have thought so originally. He could have changed his words to further promote the game's genuinity by saying Artifact and Dota is a perfect match.

• Ko0lKidK1lla LV.19 Super Star Sep 14, 2018, 02:09 PM

It's not a correct way to say a card game should not be simple, but adding just the right amount of complexity will make it more enjoyable. Richard Garfield knew exactly what to do with it, so he brought Artifact to us.

• Vojin Dzeletovic LV.24 Epic Sep 14, 2018, 02:55 PM

The thing is, we haven't had a chance to fully experience the game yet. I'm pretty much satisfied with what they have shown us so far, but it's too early to tell if it'll live up to our expectations.

• The Trey Way LV.5 Lurker Sep 19, 2018, 08:11 AM

lol

• The Trey Way LV.5 Lurker Sep 19, 2018, 08:11 AM

llo

Home