The Daily Moot (2/11/19)News Picks
1. Apex Legends was the Top Game on Twitch Last Week
Since Apex Legends surprise released last Monday, it has consistently been the top game on Twitch. Apex Legends averaged 183,089 viewers last week, which is significantly more than Fortnite’s average viewer count of 115,947. While some of this can be attributed to the excitement of a new game, it also speaks to the quality of Apex Legends; the game is both fun to play and watch. Apex Legends is free-to-play, on PC and console, and there’s an awesome lounge for it here on Moot for all your teamfinding and discussion needs. Check it out!
2. Big H1Z1 Update for PS4 Introduces Free-for-all Deathmatch H1Z1 has been steadily plugging along as a medium-popularity battle royale for a few years now. Last year, the game launched for free on PlayStation 4 to try and take some players away from Fortnite and other competitors. A new update is rolling out for the game on February 21st that will introduce 2 new game modes. The first, free-for-all deathmatch, will put 50 players against each other in a small combat zone in a race to get 25 kills. The second is called Training Grounds and will provide players will a chance to practice with all of the game’s weapons.
3. Dota 2’s ‘Auto Chess’ Mode Causes Playerbase Spike Dota 2 is experiencing a bit of a resurgence in the last few weeks, largely due to a user-created custom game mode called Auto Chess. Auto Chess has players fighting across an 8x8 field, like a chessboard, in a way that emphasizes strategic choices over actions per minute. Blizzard’s announcement that they are effectively ending support for Heroes of the Storm can also be a contributing factor toward Dota 2’s increase, as MOBA fans may be shifting their focus to a game that isn’t being abandoned by its developers.
4. Ubisoft Reveals New Map for Operation Burnt Horizon This morning Ubisoft revealed the map for Operation Burnt Horizon, which is set in the Australian outback and set to be fully revealed this weekend. The new map is an abandoned service station in the middle of the Austrlian outback and is fittingly called ‘Outback.’ The Rainbow Six team is at this particular station “because of a nuclear convey that fell under stack while it was passing by.” The map and the rest of Operation Burnt Horizon will be fully revealed during the Six Invitational stream this weekend.
5. Activision-Blizzard is Reportedly Planning Massive Layoffs Activision-Blizzard has been struggling a bit lately and the company may be planning some big employee layoffs soon. Numbers for big titles like Hearthstone and Overwatch have been flat or declining and the company just split off from Bungie, who took the Destiny franchise with them. Apparently, most of the layoffs will be in non-game development departments like marketing and sales.
================ Check out the Moot Caption Contest for a chance to win up to 500 Moot Coins!
================ We got fresh Valentine's Day items in the Moot Coin Shop this week! Check 'em out by following the link below!