The Daily Moot (2/5/19)
1. Apex Legends hits 1 Million Players in 8 Hours
Apex Legends may be the smoothest game launch we’ve seen in recent memory. While there were whispers of this game among industry insiders, many gamers were caught by surprise when Respawn announced their new battle royale yesterday. Within 8 hours, the game had drawn in over 1 million players. That isn’t surprising, as Apex Legends is both free-to-play AND on multiple platforms. You can play Apex Legends for free on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Also, check out the Apex Legends lounge here on Moot to find the best teammates!
2. Fortnite patch v7.30 is Live now, Adds Bottle Rockets A new patch is live today in Fortnite, bringing with it some basic changes and a new item! The new item is the Bottle Rocket, which can be used to call a mini-airstrike on an area. Throw the Bottle Rocket toward a location and it will soon call down a barrage of rockets that damage players and buildings. The patch also introduces the new environmental campfires; you can light campfires around the map to heal up, although these campfires can be used only once per match. Finally, patch v7.30 vaults the Boombox.
3. List of Changes to Anthem from Demo to Live Game The Anthem public beta was a smashing success last week, at least according to EA. Unlike the VIP demo the weekend before, the servers generally ran smooth as many got to test Anthem for the first time. Anthem is set to release in just a couple weeks, and Polygon summarized a list of key changes to the live version of the game. We are most excited about the social hub and updated performance that will be in the game when it goes live. Check out the full list of changes to Anthem in the article below.
4. Kingdom Hearts 3 Sells Over 5 Million Copies Kingdom Hearts 3 is now officially the fastest selling game in Kingdom Hearts history. Square Enix reported the new game has sold over 5 million copies globally. It’s no surprise the game is selling quick, as players waited so long for a new Kingdom Hearts game and the new one looks great. Kingdom Hearts 3 features several Disney characters like Donald Duck and Goofy alongside the main hero Sora. Kingdom Hearts 3 is available now on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
5. Cross-Play and Battle Passes are Coming to Apex Legends Have you heard of Apex Legends yet? We’d assume so, both because it is currently blowing up and because it is today’s top story. Respawn posted a roadmap for the game’s first year of development. In the road map, the main emphasis is on battle passes; there will 4 different battle passes this year, with the first one starting up next month. Each battle pass includes free items, like new Legends, and exclusive cosmetics. Respawn also mentioned they are working on cross-play, but they admitted progress and purchases won’t transfer across platforms.
======================= Well, it's a day late but the next Moot Caption Contest is under way now! Head on over to the Entertainment lounge to enter the Caption Contest and have a chance to win up to 500 Moot Coins!