The Daily Moot: The Game Awards 2020 NomineesNews Picks
1. The Game Awards 2020 Nominees
The nominees for the 2020 edition of The Game Awards have finally been revealed. A total of 75 different games earned nominations across the ceremony’s 23 different categories; The Last of Us Part 2 garnered the most overall nominations with 10, followed by Supergiant Games’ indie hit Hades with 9. The Game of the Year nominees include the aforementioned The Last of Us Part 2 and Hades, as well as Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Doom Eternal, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and Ghost of Tsushima. The Game Awards 2020 is set to kick off on December 10; you can check out the official announcement video below.
2. Fortnite Video Chat Fortnite has now introduced in-game video chat. The feature uses Houseparty, a chat app that was acquired by Epic Games last year, to enable players to stream live feeds of up to 4 players in their Fortnite lobby. In order to use the feature, players have to link their Epic and Houseparty accounts and then use the Houseparty app on an Android or iOS device to serve as their camera. Fortnite’s video chat is currently only available on PC, PS4, and PS5, and Epic declined to state whether or not the feature would be coming to other games or devices in the future.
3. Pokemon Go: Go Beyond Niantic has announced that Pokemon Go will soon be getting one of its biggest updates ever: “Go Beyond.” Go Beyond brings a massive number of major changes to the game such as increasing the level cap from 40 to 50, the arrival of Pokemon from the Kalos region, and the new implementation of seasons. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall will now all have unique attributes that affect things such as Pokemon encounter rates, Mega-Evolutions, and in-game events. Pokemon Go: Go Beyond is scheduled to arrive on November 30; you can check out the trailer for the update below.
4. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Trailer The launch trailer for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity has been revealed. The upcoming new crossover game between Dynasty Warriors and The Legend of Zelda, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity combines both universes and serves as a prequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is set to arrive on November 20; you can check out the new launch trailer for the game below.
5. Spelunky 2 PC Multiplayer Developer Derek Yu has unveiled some new details about Spelunky 2’s upcoming multiplayer game mode on PC. Originally expected to be included when the game launched a couple of months ago, multiplayer was delayed on PC after it had “a bit of a rocky start on PS4.” Yu initially announced that there would be 3 “major improvements” for the mode before releasing it on PC, and now 2 of those 3 improvements have been completed. He expects the final one to be finished soon with online play finally ready to launch in “early December.”