The Daily Moot: Amazon's Crucible Shutting DownNews Picks
1. Amazon’s Crucible Shutting Down
Crucible, Amazon’s short-lived free-to-play shooter, will be shutting down for good. After the game launched to an overwhelmingly poor reception earlier this year, Amazon decided to un-launch it and bring it back into a closed beta period for improvements. Well, it seems that those improvements will never see the light of day as Amazon has now announced that they are shutting the project down entirely, saying, “ultimately we didn’t see a healthy, sustainable future ahead of Crucible.” While the game itself was free to play, it did include in-app purchases which Amazon will be offering full refunds for. The servers are set to shut down permanently on November 9.
2. Valorant Act 3 Valorant Act 3 is officially here, at least mostly. While Act 3 technically launched today, players will still have to wait somewhat for its 2 most highly-anticipated introductions: Icebox and Skye. Icebox is the game’s latest map and features a frosty terrain with a new zipline mechanic, but it will be restricted to the Unrated, Spike Rush, and Deathmatch queues for at least 2 weeks in what Riot describes as a “beta state.” Similarly Skye, the game’s upcoming new support Agent, won’t be arriving until October 27. In the meantime, players can enjoy the new battle pass along with a revamped Deathmatch mode which now supports up to 14 players and features extended match lengths with safer spawns. You can check out the battlepass trailer for Valorant Act 3 below.
3. Overwatch Halloween Event Overwatch Halloween Terror 2020 is officially underway. The limited-time Halloween event brings back the co-op PvE mode Junkenstein’s Revenge, with this year’s edition introducing Baptiste and Ashe to the roster of playable heroes. Junkenstein’s Revenge will last for 3 weeks and each week will have 2 different challenge missions which add new mechanics to the game mode. As with every Overwatch LTE, Halloween Terror 2020 will have plenty of new cosmetics up for grabs including 5 new legendary skins, one each for Genji, Hanzo, Winston, Sigma, and D.Va. You can watch the trailer for Halloween Terror 2020 below.
4. Civilization 6 Pirates Pirates will soon be making their way to Sid Meier’s Civilization 6. The new scenario will feature a sea-bound quest for treasure between 1-4 players, each with their own unique faction: Dread Pirate, Privateer, Swashbuckler, or Hoarder. The mode itself seems to be a throwback to one of Sid Meier’s very first games, “Sid Meier’s Pirates!” which first launched on the Commodore 64 back in 1987. The Pirates update is set to arrive on October 22 and will be free for all players who own the base game; you can check out the trailer for the update below.
5. Terraria’s Final Update Terraria has just received its final update. Called “Journey’s Actual End,” today’s update follows up on the “Journey’s End” expansion which was released earlier this year. Although Re-Logic has made similar claims before, the studio expects that Journey’s Actual End truly will be the game’s final major update, bringing a close to nearly 10 years of Terraria expansions. In terms of content, the update includes balance changes, new achievements, and, most importantly, the game’s final NPC. You can watch the very brief "trailer" for Journey’s Actual End below.