Team Moot verified Admin
Oct 10, 2020, 06:00 AM 2,082 read

The Daily Moot: Microsoft Backs Epic vs Apple

News Picks

1. Microsoft Store Changes Back Epic

Moot: News Picks - The Daily Moot: Microsoft Backs Epic vs Apple image 2

Microsoft has announced a new approach to the Microsoft Store which seems to be a tacit endorsement of Epic Games in their battle against Apple. In what they describe as the “10 principles to promote choice, fairness, and freedom in the Microsoft Store,” Microsoft has highlighted their new internal guidelines which are built upon the tenets outlined by the Coalition for App Fairness. While the 10 principles don't explicitly mention the ongoing lawsuit between Epic and Apple, they directly address the major points of the dispute via principles such as “We will not block competing app stores on Windows” and “We will not block a developer's choice of which payment system to use for processing purchases made in its app.” The legal battle between Epic Games and Apple is set to go to trial in May 2021. https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2020/10/08/app-store-fairness-caf-interoperability-principles/

2. PS5 Backwards Compatibility Details   Sony has just revealed new details about the upcoming PlayStation 5’s backwards compatibility features, particularly in regards to the current-gen PlayStation 4. Most notably, Sony has confirmed that save files can be transferred from PS4 to PS5, meaning that players won’t have to worry about having their progress reset when playing older games on their next-gen system. Furthermore, Sony said that the “overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles,” with only a mere 11 titles being incompatible. Lastly, Sony announced that all of the compatible games will benefit from increased performance on PS5 consoles via the system’s “Game Boost,” but games will have to be played natively, rather than streamed, in order to take advantage of the technology.

3. Epic Freebies   Another week of freebies from Epic Games is here. This week’s free games are Abzu and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam. You can grab your free copy of these games directly from the Epic Games Store from now until October 15. As long as you claim the games by October 15, they will stay in your library forever. You can check out Ryan’s review of Abzu below. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games/

4. Developers Can’t Get RTX 3080s   Not only have consumers been unable to get their hands on Nvidia’s next-gen GPUs, even major development studios are having trouble sourcing them. This news comes after Larian Studios, which just released an early access version Baldur’s Gate 3 earlier this week, essentially begged Nvidia to send them an RTX 3080 because they still haven’t been able to get one. While the next-gen GPU shortage is certainly annoying for the many PC players who are looking to upgrade, it’s a significant problem for developers because it means that studios are unable to reliably patch their games in a way that ensures compatibility and stability with the new cards. In the case of Baldur’s Gate 3, Larian has now managed to fix the game’s “graphical quirks on Nvidia 3080 cards,” but this type of issue is likely something that will arise again in the near future, especially when it comes to smaller, independent studios.

5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance Movie?   A live-action adaptation of Kingdom Come: Deliverance is apparently in the works. This comes via a collaboration between the game’s developer, Warhorse Studios, and media producer Wild Sheep Content. It’s currently unclear whether the project will be a series, such as Netflix’s The Witcher, or a movie like Wild Sheep’s recently-announced adaptation of Yakuza, but we do know that it will consist of live action rather than CGI. It sounds like things are still in the very early stages of production for whatever this Kingdom Come: Deliverance project turns out to be, so it will likely be quite some time before it actually comes to fruition.

Comment 31

• Leyla26H LV.6 Nomad Oct 10, 2020, 07:00 AM

So is Fortnite coming back to Apple store?

• AJR_99 LV.20 Gym Leader Oct 10, 2020, 07:02 AM

Probably not for a while still since the next time they’re in the court is sometime next year

• Cyruto LV.13 Fast as Lightning Oct 10, 2020, 07:02 AM

We won’t know till may 2021

• Cow Boy Billy LV.30 Billy Oct 10, 2020, 06:07 AM

1) LMAO Apple really is in a pickle

2) Nice

3) Definitely picking up both of these

• footwork. verified LV.29 Legend Oct 10, 2020, 08:34 AM

The Daily Moot is like The Morning Brew for gaming.

• Invisible Hamster LV.25 Doubloon Digger Oct 10, 2020, 04:11 PM

Honestly one of my favorite parts of the app. No scrolling through a ton of bs garbage posts, no "news" that is clearly just an advertisement like ign etc. I can always count on the daily moot to just give me 5 relevant stories with at least 1 that I actually care about every day without being annoying and wasting my time

• gamer182539175 LV.2 Lurker Oct 10, 2020, 07:08 AM

Ant no one want epic games to win

• Boris Johnson LV.14 Clearly Hacking Oct 10, 2020, 07:47 AM

I do fuck apple

• gamer182539175 LV.2 Lurker Oct 10, 2020, 07:48 AM

U kno it’s apples store right ? Screw epic games who ever played epic games is a fag

• Cow Boy Billy LV.30 Billy Oct 10, 2020, 06:17 PM

I dont think you understand how this is more than just a case between apple and epic. It's a case to dwindle apple's huge monopoly.

• Mikel Pridgen LV.1 Mootie Oct 10, 2020, 08:23 AM

I hope they put it back on apple

• Jayjay Isaac LV.2 Lurker Oct 12, 2020, 04:55 AM

same

• footwork. verified LV.29 Legend Oct 10, 2020, 08:41 AM

Nvidia's 3080 line may not be finalized yet (meaning that they may not be wanting to prematurely send out cards that are subject to change).

If this is the case, it's understandable that Nvidia doesn't want to be sending out what could be considered a malleable product and cause developers to edit their games based on grounds that may be subject to change.

• Medallion LV.25 Fast as Lightning Oct 11, 2020, 05:02 AM

games are so 2019. Books are gonna be the new thing. Trust that big brain ppl will agree.

• Jonny42 LV.13 JUST SEND IT Oct 20, 2020, 06:35 AM

give me coins

• DO NOT CONTACT LV.24 PlayStation Oct 10, 2020, 07:38 AM

no

• Rexamidalion LV.8 Mobile Oct 10, 2020, 08:26 AM

Beat you to it Nathan

• Plyboii LV.4 Lurker Oct 10, 2020, 06:20 PM

Z

• Ordaniry_gamer LV.23 JUST SEND IT Oct 11, 2020, 02:10 AM

I'm really happy that ps4 is backwards compatible really make it great for the games that I certainly enjoyed but don't wanna buy again. The RTX 3080 really causing a ruckus its kinda funny but if its causing problems with games that is certainly an issue but not one I'll have a problem with. 😂😆lol

• ItsAtomicPikle LV.5 Lurker Oct 11, 2020, 04:47 AM

e

• ChivalrousTwinkle LV.5 Lurker Oct 11, 2020, 07:59 AM

wow

• ChivalrousTwinkle LV.5 Lurker Oct 11, 2020, 07:59 AM

nice

Home