Team Moot verified Admin
Aug 15, 2020, 01:37 AM 258 read

The Daily Moot: Epic Sues Apple and Google

News Picks

1. Epic Games Sues Apple and Google

Moot: News Picks - The Daily Moot: Epic Sues Apple and Google image 2

Epic Games has filed lawsuits against Apple and Google over “monopolistic practices.” This news comes just one day after Apple and Google removed Fortnite from their app stores in retaliation for Epic’s new direct payment system. Epic’s new payment system was designed to circumvent the 30 percent fees that are charged for every App Store and Play Store transaction, with Epic then passing those savings onto their players by reducing the price of V-Bucks across the board. It’s unclear exactly how these lawsuits will play out, but considering that Epic Games was a step ahead of their competition and drew the favor of the community by promising to pass down their savings, it’s clear that Epic was prepared for this type of scenario from the beginning. You can check out Epic’s “Free Fortnite” video below, which parodies Apple’s iconic 1984 commercial and condemns the company for their practices.

2. Steam Game Festival   The Steam Game Festival will be returning this fall. Although the annual event was originally scheduled to take place during the holiday season, Valve decided to run the Steam Game Festival earlier this year in March in an effort to make up for the cancellation of GDC and to help give a boost to the indie games community. March’s Steam Game Festival was a huge success, providing nearly 1,000 free demos for players and developers to enjoy alike. Hopefully the Steam Game Festival can maintain its impressive showing and continue its success when the fall edition of the event kicks off on October 7.

3. Forza Horizon 3 “End of Life”   Forza Horizon 3 is officially entering its “end of life” cycle. Starting on September 27, Forza Horizon 3 will no longer be able for purchase and will be pulled from all shelves, both retail and digital. This is nothing new for Microsoft’s flagship racing series as previous iterations of Forza have all been phased out once they reached their “end of life” as well. There are no plans to remove online content from the game, so you can rest assured that you can enjoy Forza Horizon 3 to the fullest if you decide to purchase the game before September 27.

4. Lazlow Leaves Rockstar   Lazlow, one of the most popular radio hosts in the Grand Theft Auto series, is leaving Rockstar. Although he is best known for his contributions as an in-game radio DJ, Lazlow’s contributions to GTA stretched far and wide over his nearly 20 year career with Rockstar Games. Aside from voice acting, Lazlow also worked on game trailers, in-game animated shows, and even helped write the dialogue in GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2.

5. EA Play   Origin Access and EA Access will soon be no more. Instead, EA is unifying them into one overarching service called EA Play. Most of the benefits with EA Play will be the same as the current services, but there will be some additional new features such as in-game challenges and monthly rewards. Despite the unified moniker, players will still need to purchase a new subscription of EA Play for each individual platform they wish to play on. This means that, for example, you would need to purchase 2 EA Play subscriptions in order to use the service on both PC and Xbox. EA Play is set to rollout on August 18.

Comment 18

• Zhamrok LV.20 JUST SEND IT Aug 15, 2020, 01:39 AM

Now epic games is the one sueing. How the tables turn

• DaPi LV.32 Happy 2020! Aug 15, 2020, 03:19 AM

How the turntables

• CadetColtenD LV.9 I'm a Bot Aug 15, 2020, 01:39 AM

Seems like fortnites trying to get the last laugh

• VRolook LV.25 Happy 2020! Aug 15, 2020, 01:40 AM

the free fortnite video made me shiver

• Invisible Hamster LV.24 Doubloon Digger Aug 15, 2020, 01:41 AM

Surprised at how good it is, you can tell that Epic knew that this was gonna happen from the beginning and had everything all planned out.

• VRolook LV.25 Happy 2020! Aug 15, 2020, 01:43 AM

yeah im just scared microsoft or sony are gonna do the same

• Fluffyhair742 LV.19 Clearly Hacking Aug 15, 2020, 01:47 AM

I hope this means fortnite will end

• Bumfri LV.11 Professional Noob Aug 15, 2020, 01:44 AM

Am I wrong for thinking Google and Apple had every right to ban Fortnite? 🤔

• Xxlevr3 LV.11 Hunter Aug 15, 2020, 01:55 AM

well they weren't doing anything illegal

• Green verified LV.31 Legend Aug 15, 2020, 03:18 AM

Epic was breaking TOS on their platforms. Google and Apple had their rules in place and Epic broke them knowing what would happen

• Xxlevr3 LV.11 Hunter Aug 15, 2020, 03:28 AM

oh ok

• stolen_innocence LV.24 Clearly Hacking Aug 15, 2020, 02:04 AM

I mean they are losing money so why wouldn’t they drop it

• DaPi LV.32 Happy 2020! Aug 15, 2020, 03:20 AM

Rip Lazlow

• Killy LV.19 I’m the champion! Aug 15, 2020, 05:03 AM

Apple to epic games: ima sue you
    Epic games: no u

• Ordaniry_gamer LV.22 Default Savior Aug 15, 2020, 08:26 AM

I'm actually glad they Epic did that though the reasoning for Apple and Google to get rid of it is clear it make it obvious that Apple and Google would rather make bank from a sketchy and dangerous app than not make any from a trusted and reliable app.

• Bonk Labz LV.20 Bamboozled Aug 15, 2020, 09:30 AM

I feel so indifferent about rn suing them 😳

• RoboKj LV.19 Let’s play R6! Aug 16, 2020, 04:19 AM

Yay

• glucose.. LV.10 OPFOR Aug 17, 2020, 09:32 PM

mmm

Home