The Daily Moot: Xbox Series X Smart DeliveryNews Picks
1. Xbox Series X Smart Delivery
Microsoft just released a slew of information about the Xbox Series X’s Smart Delivery system. Smart Delivery will enable players to seamless play their existing Xbox One games on the Xbox Series X. The best part about Smart Delivery is that it not only makes the Xbox Series X backwards compatible, but it also upgrades the quality of older games by taking advantage of the next-gen hardware. Smart Delivery will be automatically enabled for all Xbox Game Studio games and Microsoft is encouraging third-party developers to make full use of the technology. The Xbox Series X is scheduled to launch later this year during the holiday season.
2. Star Wars: Squadrons A new Star Wars game called Star Wars: Squadrons has officially been revealed. The first-person “space dogfighting game” will feature both multiplayer and a single-player campaign and will take place in the time period following Return of the Jedi. Star Wars: Squadrons will be available on PC, Xbox one, and PS4 and will be VR compatible on PC and PS4. Star Wars: Squadrons will retail for $40 and is set to launch on October 2; check out the official reveal trailer below.
3. Heroes of the Storm Mei Overwatch’s Mei will soon be making her way to Heroes of the Storm. Blizzard released a series of hints and teasers that all but confirm that the ice-cold character will be coming to their flagship MOBA. Mei’s trusty robot Snowball will also be coming along with her. Although HOTS will provide a new battlefield for Mei, many of her abilities such as Ice Wall and Blizzard will have significant overlap with her existing Overwatch kit. Mei will be the 9th Overwatch character introduced to the game and is expected to launch alongside the upcoming Nexomania 2 event.
4. Escape from Tarkov New Map Escape from Tarkov will soon be getting a new map as part of its patch 12.7 update. The new map will take place in an eerie, rundown city and will be the game’s “biggest and most detailed location ever.” The update will also bring improvements to custom maps, enlarging the “overall area by 30 or even 40 percent.” The map is currently unnamed, but Battlestate Games released a gameplay trailer for the upcoming location which you can check out below.
5. Star Citizen Eclipses $300M in Funding Star Citizen, the highly anticipated multiplayer space simulator, has now eclipsed $300 million in funding. This lofty figure comes as the result of nearly 3 million unique contributions. It has been nearly 7 years since Star Citizen first opened its Kickstarter campaign and despite the fact that funding efforts have clearly been successful, there is still no planned commercial release date for the game.