The Daily Moot: Warzone is the Future of Call of DutyNews Picks
1. Warzone is the Future of Call of Duty
It’s no secret that Warzone has been a great success for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but it now appears that Activision is looking to include the game mode in future Call of Duty games. Infinity Ward director Taylor Kurosaki explained that Warzone will bridge the gap between different CoD games, saying that “Warzone will be the through line that connects all of the different various sub-franchises of Call of Duty.” It’s unclear how exactly Warzone will connect future cross-generational Call of Duty games, but fans can rest assured that the game mode is here to stay. Regarding the future of Call of Duty, Kurosaki made one thing very clear: “Warzone will be the one constant.”
2. Evo 2020 Cancelled Evo 2020 has been cancelled. Easily the biggest fighting game tournament in the world, Evo is where the best players on the planet compete for cash prizes in a variety of games including Tekken, Street Fighter, and Super Smash Bros. Originally expected to take place from July 21 to August 2 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada, Evo 2020 will no longer have a physical event. Instead, organizers are now looking to host a special online tournament later this summer as a replacement.
3. New Games from DiRT Rally Creators The creators of DiRT Rally apparently have 2 new games in the works. As DiRT Rally 2.0 winds down its seasonal activity, the development team will start to put all their focus into their upcoming games. We don’t have many details about the new games yet, but we do know that one of them will be in the DiRT series and will be made by a separate Codemasters studio. At any rate, racing game fans will have plenty to look forward to in the near future.
4. EA Play Showcase EA has announced a digital-only version of its yearly EA Play showcase. As part of IGN’s Summer of Gaming event, EA will begin the broadcast on June 11 at 4pm PT. EA hasn’t announced any specific games that will be showcased at the event, but it’s reasonable to assume that the usual suspects like Madden and FIFA will likely make an appearance.
5. New Star Wars Movie and Show Announced Disney has announced that 2 new major Star Wars projects are in the works. The first is a new Star Wars movie and it’s being directed by Thor Ragnarok director Taika Waititi. The second project is a Disney+ TV show from Russian Doll writer Leslye Headland. No details have been released about the content of either project yet, but we can expect more info to start pouring in once production is underway.