The Daily Moot: Valorant is Here!News Picks
1. Valorant’s Record-Setting Closed Beta
The Valorant closed beta is now live! In order to get access to the closed beta, you need to link your Riot account with your Twitch account and watch Valorant streams on Twitch with drops enabled. While this may seem like a strange way of distributing beta keys, this strategy has led Valorant to have the most successful launch day on Twitch ever. Valorant set the record for the most concurrent Twitch viewers for any game, with over 1.7 million people tuning in to watch.
2. Cooking Mama: Cookstar Controversy There is a lot of controversy surrounding the latest entry in the Cooking Mama series, Cooking Mama: Cookstar. There have been multiple allegations that the game uses your device’s processing power to mine cryptocurrency and potentially also harvests your personal data. Both the developer and publisher have refuted these claims, with outside sources also saying that there is no evidence of blockchain code in the game.
3. Red Dead Online Double XP The latest update just hit Red Dead Online, offering double XP for Showdown Modes and Races. There are also new freebies for players who have linked their Twitch accounts, including a Collector’s Bag and and Moonshiner boosts. All players who log in before April 14 will also earn 5 free gold bars.
4. ESA Confirms No Digital E3 After announcing that ESA will be focusing on a “reimagined” E3 for 2021, they have now confirmed that this means there will be no E3 2020. While this could reasonably be assumed from their initial statement, ESA cleared any doubts today by reiterating that there will not be a digital E3 this year. We have no idea what to expect from the “reimagined” E3 next year, but we do know that the convention will take place from June 15 to June 17.
5. Team Fortress 2 Lag Bots Team Fortress 2 has apparently been infected by hordes of lag bots. The bots have ruined casual matchmaking, crashing servers. It seems that community servers have been largely unaffected, but it should still be important for Valve to address the issue on their casual servers as soon as possible.