Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.30 Dream Chaser
Oct 3, 2020, 06:41 AM 238 read

Valorant | Fall of the Operator Meta? Massive OP Nerfs

Ever since about patch 1.03 where players were getting a good feel for the guns, the Operator has been the terror of solo-queue and competitive play alike and six patches later, they are finally getting to it. After countless cries of injustice and calls for nerfs, the Operator is seeing its first wave of changes since beta. The trend of these changes are aimed at making the gun much risker to buy than before.   ~Price increased to 5000

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Fall of the Operator Meta? Massive OP Nerfs image 2

The first strike of the nerf hammer made the Operator cost 500 more credits, which is a lot. This change is a lot more impactful than what meets the eye. Overtime has just become even more unfriendly towards the operator, and weapon developer teams say there is a possibility for an even greater price increase. Since the max among of credit is 9000, it is economically crippling to tank the 5000 purchase, which doesn’t even include armor and abilities.     ~Drawing Time Increased Significantly

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Fall of the Operator Meta? Massive OP Nerfs image 15

With another graceful swing of the nerf hammer, Riot Games have made reacting with an Operator effectively 40% worse than it was before. The drawing time after abilities and whatnot has been increased by .2 which is pretty long in a game like Valorant where things are decided in milliseconds.     ~Jump Land Accuracy Reduced Drastically

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Fall of the Operator Meta? Massive OP Nerfs image 10

You know that little annoying thing sniper players do in basically every FPS where they jump, crouch, and scope before firing? That fun mechanic is being nerfed, but not just for the operator, but every gun. Single bullet guns like the Operator will feel this nerf the hardest though. In particular, Jett players which I am sure many people are ecstatic to hear.     ~Scoping Movement Speed Reduced Ever notice how you walk slower when scoping on the Operator? Well, now you’ve effectively gone from a turtle to a snail. Riot has found it necessary to reduce the speed you can walk while scoping, so it will be harder to strafe when holding angles. Either you open yourself to peeker’s advantage by holding the angle, or you drag your feet while strafing.     ~Faster Inaccuracy from Moving Running and gunning is a definite no-no in Valorant and that is nothing new, but now moving with the Operator just became 50% worse. Basically, there is a bit of a buffer before you become inaccurate when moving, and that buffer has effectively been sliced in half. So the strafing snipe has been crippled a step further with this change.     ~Leg Damage Reduced The last nail in this metaphoric coffin is the leg damage reduction. It’s been reduced from 127 to 120. Most people probably think, “well that’s not that much damage, just 7 more hp.” But just remember that it only takes 1 HP to live, and 1 bullet in the head to die. Guns like Classic, Ares, Ghost, and Frenzy which would have killed you with one bullet before from +30 meters will now take two bullets instead. In Valorant, everyone is just one bullet away from death, so this is a big change despite the small numbers involved.  

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Fall of the Operator Meta? Massive OP Nerfs image 4

As the icing in the cake, Jett has also been nerfed this time around. While she is an integral part of the Operator meta, the part of her that made her troublesome wasn’t nerfed. Still, it is still something to smile at in the end.   Do you feel that these nerfs are enough to reign in the dominant Operator meta that has been plaguing Valorant for some time now? Or do you feel these Operator nerfs were too harsh and should be partially or even entirely reverted? Let me know in the comments below.

Comment 19

• VeryBerryMan LV.23 Champion Oct 3, 2020, 06:53 AM

I feel like the nerfs were good, but the leg damage thing should be reversed

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.30 Dream Chaser Oct 3, 2020, 06:55 AM

I mean yeah they were good in some sense, but I feel they were kinda harsh. I don't play OPs myself, but they weren't this insurmountable problem before to me

• BoTCheesecurd LV.18 Champion Oct 5, 2020, 08:23 AM

Yeah I just don’t feel like they were that good, it just depends on the player

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.30 Dream Chaser Oct 3, 2020, 06:56 AM

there was already so much that was off about the Operator as a sniper compared to other games and this just increases that inconsistency factor

• MaxiWatermelon LV.30 10, 9, 8, 7... Oct 3, 2020, 08:40 AM

They reduced the amount of damage when shot in the leg, so that when you have light shields you’re able to survive the shot. I feel like it’s a good change, as it acts as a way to punish the player for not hitting a body shot.

• Rolling Nuggie Doggo LV.20 Big Chungus Oct 3, 2020, 07:05 AM

I love to op, ill say it, I always save for op. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't like the changes. I think that the op is easy to outplay.

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.30 Dream Chaser Oct 3, 2020, 12:07 PM

I think how good the OP was has some direct correlation to how good a player is with it. Because they were having trouble with it even at higher level play

• lemoff LV.3 Lurker Oct 4, 2020, 10:49 AM

The operator has been allocated to the role of countering aggression. Rather than starting aggression first.

• kyoto LV.20 S Oct 3, 2020, 03:05 PM

bruh damn

• Vulosophy LV.2 Lurker Oct 4, 2020, 11:22 AM

This is very informative thx

• Frisky LV.2 Lurker Oct 4, 2020, 04:52 PM

Epic

• BoTCheesecurd LV.18 Champion Oct 5, 2020, 08:22 AM

Look how they’ve massacred my boy

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.30 Dream Chaser Oct 5, 2020, 03:16 PM

They got him out here sleeping with the fishes... :(

• Faze cocopops LV.17 Assassin Oct 6, 2020, 01:18 AM

nooooooo

• MunkeeInShorts LV.21 Looking for teammates! Oct 6, 2020, 03:31 AM

Thank god the Operator got nerfed. It was way to noob friendly and the one-shot thing sucked. I know I’ll get “WeLl WhAt AbOuT tHe VaNdAl It OnE sHoTs!” Well it’s only to the head or if they are low. Operator is nearly 100% one-shot.

• Arctyc LV.3 Lurker Oct 6, 2020, 04:11 AM

the op is still good

• Kalif Jackson LV.6 Nomad Oct 6, 2020, 05:17 AM

Nice gun

• Kalif Jackson LV.6 Nomad Oct 6, 2020, 05:17 AM

I like it

• waVe64 LV.16 Team Player Oct 7, 2020, 09:05 AM

I love these changes. I didn't have any problem dealing with awps because I knew when not to peek and how to effectively use utility, but these new changes make the game more dynamic. I don't believe the AWP has been nerfed to the ground, as it's still an incredibly powerful territory control and ultimatum tool against enemies, but it's very clearly meant to fit into the defensive role much better now.

Home