Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader
Sep 14, 2020, 08:55 PM 230 read

Valorant | Are the Penalties For Ranked too Lenient?

Poll Opened 0 Voted

What should happen to people who leave competitive matches?

Valorant is a strategy-based first-person shooter that requires the coordination of a team to play effectively and each member of your team has something to offer the team. Thus, it is no surprise that playing Valorant without one of those teammates can be very frustrating, as you’ve already been put at a disadvantage before the round has even begun. To add to the stress, this is a ranked match that determines the fate of the rank you fought so hard to earn, and it is being thrown away by someone else before you even had a chance. This sort of situation has happened to everyone if you have played frequently enough and it calls into question what is being done about these people who make the match a living hell by abandoning it.    

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Are the Penalties For Ranked too Lenient? image 3

There are two sides of this problem and that’s the side of the person who left, intentionally or not, and the team they left behind. Valorant’s devs have made an effort to alleviate some of the stress that comes from these situations. As recent as patch 1.07 many quality-of-life changes have been added like the ability to remake matches, and the reduction of impact such abandoned matches have on the players left in the aftermath of an abandoned match. These sorts of changes have happened in earlier patches as well with the addition to a surrender option, which all League players recognize. Though is this enough to truly enough to lessen the burden of everyone left, especially when the teammate leaves mid-game?    

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Are the Penalties For Ranked too Lenient? image 5

From the other side of the spectrum, there is the person that left the match. This could either be intentional or unintentional and there is little in the way of determining this for the game developers so they’ve grouped together. There is an odd situation with disconnecting in Valorant where if you disconnect for even a second, you have to leave the game outright before being able to enter again. This puts people who randomly disconnect in the same bandwagon as the rest of the leavers, which further increases the complexity of dealing with these ranked leavers.    

Valorant: Posts - Valorant | Are the Penalties For Ranked too Lenient? image 7

Regardless, the team is affected all the same. As of now, all that is done to the leaving party is a queue restriction and some lost ELO, and this is a reasonable punishment for those who accidentally left or infrequently leave. But what of those who leave very often and are always ruining someone else’s game? Should such a tap on the wrist suffice to deter them from doing it again? I honestly don’t believe so, but it is second nature to FPS games to have this sort of situation in its community. Would whirling around the ban hammer at all the toxic leavers be the solution to all of these issues? And how big of a margin of error is acceptable for these bans? Let me know in the comments below what you think Riot should do with the intentional leavers and if accidental leavers should receive the same punishment.

Comment 32

• drink my fleas LV.9 Clearly Hacking Sep 14, 2020, 09:26 PM

like some people just join a game and remain afk to troll during comp and maybe some people really got some shit up and they had to leave right

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 14, 2020, 11:16 PM

Yeah, it is hard to say which one it is. Also for these kind of games that lock you in a room with your team, it would be nice to have a "get me tf out button" at least once a day for those sort of unforeseen situations.

• drink my fleas LV.9 Clearly Hacking Sep 15, 2020, 12:30 AM

I mean in my opinion I think riot can establish a rule where they only accept reports from people who were afk for majority of the game that way it's more objective

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 15, 2020, 01:46 AM

I think that could be part of a viable solution. Even losing a single round can snowball though

• drink my fleas LV.9 Clearly Hacking Sep 15, 2020, 10:07 PM

true true

• drink my fleas LV.9 Clearly Hacking Sep 15, 2020, 10:08 PM

tbh there isn't much we can do to solve this kind of problem it's not like you will terminate the entire match because someone went afk right

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 15, 2020, 10:16 PM

Well... I wouldn't mind re-queuing if someone leaves ngl, but I don't expect everyone to be that way.

• BoTCheesecurd LV.15 I'm a Bot Sep 15, 2020, 03:02 AM

Yeah and that way the person who leaves can be excused once a day

• DarkWolf23 LV.21 Dragon Sep 15, 2020, 08:00 AM

I hate when people leave in the middle of my matches but at the same time i have accidentally left due to loss of connection or crashes....so its really difficult for me to be able to say they should be punished heavily because I would be heavily affected as well...another issue is people intentionally griefing teammates in comp...that should be punished more severly. if they even get punished at all.

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 15, 2020, 02:05 PM

Distinguishing between the two is the dilemma

• DarkWolf23 LV.21 Dragon Sep 16, 2020, 09:20 AM

agreed, but untill they can, punishment is not an easy thing to decipher. and even then, whats stopping the players from shutting their game down to intentionally leave? its just too many factors that iant easy to pinpoint for the game to punsh

• drink my fleas LV.9 Clearly Hacking Sep 14, 2020, 09:25 PM

I mean it depends on why the leave also

• qTagg LV.4 Lurker Sep 15, 2020, 02:24 PM

nice post

• MaxiWatermelon LV.28 10, 9, 8, 7... Sep 15, 2020, 10:29 PM

It’s kinda rough to distinguish between intentional and unintentional disconnections. People who are AFK, grief/throw frustrate me more than anything.

I feel like the ability to remake games should be extended a couple rounds, 2 rounds in just doesn’t feel like it’s enough if someone is to abandon the match right after that.

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 15, 2020, 10:38 PM

Exactly, it's pretty awful when someone waits to troll and you're stuck with them for the rest of the game. I'm sure Rito could figure something out with the intentional and unintentional stuff

• etow LV.7 Nomad Sep 16, 2020, 01:41 AM

unlucky

• Nicknamebruno LV.10 Genius Sep 16, 2020, 02:26 AM

• Jroysahn LV.2 Lurker Sep 16, 2020, 02:38 PM

i think if you abandon a certain amount of matches in a timeframe (say 24 hrs,scaling up to periods of multiple weeks) you should start to receive meaningful suspensions. maybe even if you abandon enough matches in a season you could be perma banned. idk, would reduce the outright trolls.

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 16, 2020, 03:19 PM

Yeah, that definitely sounds doable for Rito. Maybe they should hire you owo

• GameZedd LV.22 Beast Sep 17, 2020, 12:12 PM

what are the penalties?

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 17, 2020, 02:37 PM

just a full loss worth of MMR and a queue restriction

• GameZedd LV.22 Beast Sep 18, 2020, 06:39 AM

Seems fair as long as the game can tell the difference between quitting and disconnecting. How long is the queue ban?

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 18, 2020, 06:47 AM

The queue penalty depends on how many consecutive times you've left a match. As for distinguishing DCing from quitting, you can just as easily unplug your internet and it would register as a DC so that isn't too viable.

• GameZedd LV.22 Beast Sep 18, 2020, 06:51 AM

thats what I was gonna say, the more they do it the worse the punishment should be. Also it should be viable because some people have bad internet and stuff especially in Australia, in Australia you could have good internet and still disconnect due to the providers fault on their side.

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 18, 2020, 07:05 AM

Sounds like innocent people would get slaughtered if they increased leaving penalties and raked in DCers in the same boat.

• GameZedd LV.22 Beast Sep 18, 2020, 07:08 AM

Yusuf "Alex" Harris  No, I meant DCers would be excused from leaving penalties! 😂

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 18, 2020, 07:09 AM

GameZedd  but if there's no way to distinguish the two, then it's all leavers or none.

• GameZedd LV.22 Beast Sep 18, 2020, 07:11 AM

Yusuf "Alex" Harris  But internally, logistically, there should be a way to calculate who did what.

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 18, 2020, 07:13 AM

GameZedd  Hmm... maybe. I'm sure they probably won't dive deep into it like that anyway though

• Spartan0901 LV.5 Lurker Sep 18, 2020, 11:24 AM

Cool

• Zevoah LV.16 Genius Sep 18, 2020, 12:16 PM

There should be a system in place where you are asked why you left the game and if it's not a good enough reason you get the penalty

• Yusuf "Alex" Harris verified LV.27 Good Leader Sep 18, 2020, 04:00 PM

Parsing through those answers can't be automated though, and I am sure they don't have the man-power for that.

Home