Rowan verified LV.18 Fearless
Aug 26, 2020, 04:47 PM 446 read

Valorant: Why Hold Your Power Back?

Hey there, Valorant folks!   Today, I wanted to talk to you guys briefly about the lack of ability usage in Deathmatch games. While I personally understand this decision, I also believe it’s a poor one for players who are trying to get a feel for the game through a somewhat-slower game mode. One could argue that this mode is meant to focus specifically around gun play and using the strategy of that, but I disagree, considering that the higher up modes all have abilities enabled.  

Valorant: Posts - Valorant: Why Hold Your Power Back? image 2

If the player wanted to specifically focus on gun-play ( or melee looped in), then other hero shooters are available, such as Rainbow Six, which is 95% weapon play with the specific gadgets thrown in. Removing the unique ability kits from a scenario where showing ones true skill with them is most important just seems like a very poor decision to me.   The concept of balance is surely coming up in you guys’ minds, given how absolutely powerful some of the abilities in Valorant can be, using Viper as an example after her recent buff. Her poison clouds could lock down an area in a Deathmatch and prove extremely disruptive, but so could a very large number of other characters. Remove these aspects from the game over-all and you’re left with everyone using relatively the same weapons, as well as being stuck without any abilities to help learn and strategize around.  

Valorant: Posts - Valorant: Why Hold Your Power Back? image 4

If you’ve managed to become a super sharp aim with your SMG or rifle for example in Deathmatches, that’s all well and good, but as soon as you go in to a legitimate game, you’ve got Viper’s poisons to deal with, the sight-stealing eyes and a whole colorful array of other abilities to deal with. This goes so far beyond the basic idea of aiming and shooting and encourages players to actually grow complacent with attacks and tricks they can’t predict as easily as a weapon being aimed at them. Not to mention the dullness that comes along with another basic hero-shooter mode.  

Valorant: Posts - Valorant: Why Hold Your Power Back? image 6

Valorant’s entire story and variety revolves around the sheer amount of variety that comes along with its character abilities and I believe that excluding them from one of the most sought-after modes in the game’s short history is just a mistake and a missed opportunity.   What do you guys think? Leave abilities out of Deathmatch or put them in to show whose truly the best?

Comment 14

• waVe64 LV.15 Team Player Sep 2, 2020, 09:59 PM

When training, you need to practice specific skills in an isolated environment. The point of DM is to practice gun play, and nothing else. If you try to practice everything at the same time exclusively in standard modes, you're going to hit a skill ceiling and a fast plateau. It's why Melee players lab out the same exact niche scenario over and over for hours, or why CS:GO professionals drill aim courses over and over.

Deathmatch isn't perfect, but it's meant to isolate the gunplay, which is especially important for lower level players who are still getting used to the recoil, first shot accuracy, etc that would be hard to drill in regular matches

The third thing is that Valorant isn't like Overwatch, where in OW, the abilities are the fighting where in Valorant, they are simply supplemental. Most abilities in Valorant only give you small advantages over your opponents, but don't replace the gun fights. You can have the best site setups, entries and strategies but if you don't understand that the gun fights are king then you're gonna get destroyed consistently.

• MaxiWatermelon LV.28 10, 9, 8, 7... Sep 4, 2020, 02:44 AM

mhm, this is exactly what I was thinking and you summed everything up really perfectly. Having abilities stripped away allows people to focus on their gunskill. Giving them a chance to improve, without having to worry about other variables.

• DarkWolf23 LV.21 Dragon Aug 27, 2020, 03:28 AM

I feel that they should add a game mode later on that let's us use abilities but I like deathmatch as it is.

• donka LV.5 Best Squadmate Aug 28, 2020, 04:29 AM

just need to commant for xp

• donka LV.5 Best Squadmate Aug 28, 2020, 04:42 AM

hi

• Noonshuji LV.2 Lurker Aug 29, 2020, 08:12 AM

DM mode is meant for gun play only and they should keep it like that. I think DM is very fast paced, and adding abilities would be too chaotic and unfair. If you really want to practice with abilities, there is unrated and spike rush for that.

• Godspeed0310 LV.5 Lurker Aug 29, 2020, 02:22 PM

Normally I'd agree to this but the fact is that you can play unrated before going into comp so there's no need for that... Deathmatch on the other hand is for just training your aim before you play unrated games...

• Dusty Ratty LV.4 Lurker Aug 29, 2020, 11:26 PM

hey

• Nabil Omi LV.1 Mootie Aug 31, 2020, 03:43 PM

I think you are right

• KaosLynx LV.2 Lurker Sep 1, 2020, 04:39 AM

I think they could implement a gamemode where abilites are more important, like lower cooldowns and guns do less damage.

• gamer456956018 LV.5 Lurker Sep 1, 2020, 03:32 PM

Just need the xp

• ByShiro LV.10 Super Star Sep 2, 2020, 08:56 PM

Thanks for your opinion

• Hu bye LV.3 Lurker Sep 17, 2020, 10:33 PM

h

• Diver Down LV.7 Wolf Sep 21, 2020, 06:11 PM

overwatch

Home