A Review of Valorant | Half a Year Later

It was earlier this June that Riot dropped the surprise announcement during a video conference that Valorant was getting an early release date of June 2nd. At the time, there was no doubt that the gunplay would be smooth, the controls tight, and the art ~poppin~.
What really was left to be answered, for those of us interested in the longevity of competitive games, was it’s ability stand the test of muscling some room into the tactical FPS genre beside the likes of CS:GO and R6.

Now, six months later, it’s time to review how the game is fairing, what it’s future looks like, and if it has made a lasting relationship with the community it hoped to capitalize on.

#TheGameItself

Valorant, in a vacuum, is a game that can hold its own in terms of design. It’s characters offer the same kind of variation in gameplay that Rainbow Six: Siege can boast, but also has the same fast(er) moving gameplay that CS:GO is known for by comparison, but with added mobility and flair that sets itself apart.

While playing CS:GO, you feel like you’re one man fighting against another on an even playing field. While playing Valorant, this concept is thrown out the window, and you’re more or less a super hero fighting against other super heroes with insane abilities. Valorant accomplishes this gameplay well enough for most people, although things tend to get a bit hectic and overwhelming when this larger than life game design is sprawled out over close quarters combat, which the game has a lot of.

Mobility is a huge part of the game, along with character-unique smokes and flashbangs that come in plenty of numbers per round and can take up huge parts of the map which, as I alluded to earlier, are designed in the manor CS:GO maps are designed despite the apparent variation in gameplay. This makes the game, for some, feel less intricate and far more sloppy as abilities lock down entire sites or prevent much counter gun-play as round after round devolves into ability spamming to obscure vision and nade out choke points.

When the game DOES become a team effort involving mastered weapon play and coordinated team pushes, it shines. As stated before, the gun play is smooth and well put together. And in terms of team-play, even the most well practiced CS:GO plays will pale in comparison to the antics a 5-man team can pull off in Valorant. And credit is given to Riot where credit is due, that is completely by design. The problems involving Valorant’s cluttered ability selection is the same problem that makes this strength in flair so glaringly obvious, and it’s clear Riot had / have well thought out intentions when making everyone so wildly powerful in their own rights.

It’s the same Principle you can find in a game like DOTA 2: If everyone is OP, no one is. And that’s a fun kinda game to play, even if it’s less than graceful in its execution.

#TheCompetitors

The real question to be asking for anyone concerned with it’s Esports viability in the FPS room is how it stacks up against the competition. It’s one thing to be a good game that people want to play, it's another to be a good game that people want to play over anything else, and I’d venture as far as to say that no, Valorant, in its current state, isn’t going to be able create enough shoulder room for itself to compete with the viewer counts of the R6 and CS:GO pro leagues.
I could go on and on about how the game was designed to be accessible to so many people that it failed to achieve anything of real depth in the same way CS has, but I’m sure there are a lot of people who are smarter than me who could argue otherwise, so I’ll stick to the basics of this argument: The game just isn’t that rewarding.

The skill cap in a game like this, by default of being an FPS, is high. And that ceiling is probably never ending, unless you’re able to play like you’ve got wall hacks. That said, the intricacies in the gameplay itself just aren’t satisfying enough to justify giving this game my seal of approval for long-term emotional investment by anyone. I cannot, for the life of me, find anything about this game that makes me feel the way a professional match of CS or R6 can make me feel. Hell, I can’t find anything about this game that a solo-queue match of either of those games can make me feel. I sense no rewarding gameplay, no slow-n-steady playstyles, no alternate mindsets to have when playing Valorant that I see in its respective counterparts. All I can see (or not see) is a spamming of abilities and a test of accuracy.

And maybe this is the overflowing gameplay that creates this feeling, or maybe it’s the bubbly art-design that takes me out of excitement, or both. But the fact is that this game just doesn’t offer rewarding experience for players who like long-term investments.

That isn’t to say you shouldn’t like this game, or that you shouldn’t follow the Esports scene if you want to, you absolutely should. What I’m saying is that I don’t think there’s going to be a whole lot of people who you can share that passion with in the years to come. While a game like R6 won (and is winning) over more and more fans with a steady upward trend of player count, I feel as though Valorant will slowly decline from it’s explosive launch to an afterthought of a game that is played, but played sparingly, on average.

And that’s the best way I can sum up this game: Average. Although that’s more than a little unfair when also factoring in the ways Riot Games managed to buck the trends in the FPS genre, I still can’t help but feel like Valorant is the love child of Overwatch and CS:GO that came out a little half-baked. That isn’t to say the developers did a poor job, or conceptually the game isn’t any good. It’s just to say I feel Valorant isn’t all that it could be.

But hey, we’re living in an age where games are being developed after being put out, so maybe Riot will take Valorant to new heights and I’ll have to eat my words.

But as it stands, 6/10: Decent game, nothing revolutionary.

GLHF,
-E

A Review of Valorant | Half a Year Later  +2
A Review of Valorant | Half a Year Later
Czarnicks
Czarnicks Czarnicks
verified LV.20 S 20h

Fang Clan Recruitment

[NA] Fang Clan is a discord community dedicated to both casual and competitive gameplay in league of legends and Valorant and is currently looking to expand it's membership. We are currently accepting anyone of any rank, role, skill level with the intent of helping you get better.
We do play other games such as Heroes of the Storm, Legends of Runeterra, and survival/build style games like 7 Days to die, Minecraft, Deadmatter and Ark. We are also currently putting together an official league team for League of Legends and Valorant to be part of online tournaments. We also have fun in-house 5v5 custom matches that are streamed and shout-casted by various clan members. If this interests you, DM on Reddit or on discord at WolfCaptainBlade#0001

Fang Clan Recruitment
WolfCaptainBlade
WolfCaptainBlade WolfCaptainBlade
LV.6 Nomad 1d

Hey guys im just new here so anyone can give me a tips for valorant?

Hey guys im just new here so anyone can give me a tips for valorant?
Lilbeankun Lilbeankun
LV.3 Lurker 8h

Valorant is fun

Hey sorry im looking fir some people to play with esp ladys lol 😅😊

Valorant is fun
s.s.s12 s.s s.s.s12 s.s
LV.2 Lurker 1d

My Comunity

If you like to stream. Play games with wacky people join the discored its an amazing community that I built myself. Its growing because of the amazing people in here.(not a bot) https://discord.gg/PRsCPNcVPs

My Comunity
FartingTaco267
FartingTaco267 FartingTaco267
LV.2 Lurker 1d

Valorant squad??

I play chill unranked valorant and am looking for a group to play soon, I'm down to play ranked but....yeah :D

Lmk if you're interested

Valorant squad??
Adri^*^
Adri^*^ Adri^*^
LV.2 Lurker 16h

Join my discord

I’m building a community on Discord it will be great if YOU could join Press the link down below to join I would really appreciate it. If the link expires let me know so I can send it to you. https://discord.gg/uBcSWCkYxq

Join my discord
ShadowJosh18
ShadowJosh18 ShadowJosh18
LV.19 4x Champion! 19h

Guy thought he was gonna get the ace

I stopped trying to get the Brimstone when I found out what he was up to..I had to process a little in my head https://clips.twitch.tv/WanderingPlumpFlyKeepo
#Valorant

Guy thought he was gonna get the ace
KeiiroKV
KeiiroKV KeiiroKV
LV.17 Wizard 2d

Flying on EU

Flying on EU
Flying on EU
AceD
AceD AceD
LV.7 Dream Chaser 2d

Valorant: When Pro Players make FLYING AGRESSIVE PLAYS! - Valorant Highlights Moments Montage

Have you guys checked out this amazing Valorant gameplay video.
It is mind-blowing.
Watch the LIVE streaming here. http://orablyro.com/4oeX

Valorant: When Pro Players make FLYING AGRESSIVE PLAYS! - Valorant Highlights Moments Montage
Tacaz Gaming
Tacaz Gaming Tacaz Gaming
LV.5 Lurker 2d

Fang Clan Recruitment

[NA] Fang Clan is a discord community dedicated to both casual and competitive gameplay in league of legends and Valorant and is currently looking to expand it's membership. We are currently accepting anyone of any rank, role, skill level with the intent of helping you get better.
We do play other games such as Heroes of the Storm, Legends of Runeterra, and survival/build style games like 7 Days to die, Minecraft, Deadmatter and Ark. We are also currently putting together an official league team for League of Legends and Valorant to be part of online tournaments. We also have fun in-house 5v5 custom matches that are streamed and shout-casted by various clan members. If this interests you, DM on Reddit or on discord at WolfCaptainBlade#0001

Fang Clan Recruitment
WolfCaptainBlade
WolfCaptainBlade WolfCaptainBlade
LV.6 Nomad 2d

LOOKING FOR PEOPLE

*MUST HAVE KNOWN ENGLISH*
*SHOULD HAVE DISCORD*
*BRONZE OR IRON IS NO PROBS*
JOIN MY DISCORD : https://discord.gg/WmFaFfbmk2

LOOKING FOR PEOPLE
DARKDAGGERDEVIL
DARKDAGGERDEVIL DARKDAGGERDEVIL
LV.2 Lurker 2d

iron 2 grind to silver i play omen

iron 2 grind to silver i play omen
Yungsandhu
Yungsandhu Yungsandhu
LV.12 Chief 2d

Need someone to carry, I am bronze 1 got demoted from bronze 3

Need someone to carry, I am bronze 1 got demoted from bronze 3
Arconistツ
Arconistツ Arconistツ
LV.2 Lurker 2d

Spare change?

Can I get likes and comments for no reason?

Spare change?
Ram3n_lord
Ram3n_lord Ram3n_lord
LV.10 Nomad 2d

Looking for a Leader

Looking for an active Game Leader for our Valorant section, hit me up on Discord!

https://discord.gg/validus
ValidusTommy#0001

Looking for a Leader
Validus Tommy
Validus Tommy Validus Tommy
LV.2 Lurker 2d

rank gaming

trying to get players for a rank game hopefully some serious players

rank gaming
BK3een
BK3een BK3een
LV.3 Lurker 2d

Trying out competitive

I have only been playing unranked for a long time and i got destroyed on my first ranked game

Trying out competitive
Jet ch
Jet ch Jet ch
LV.8 Nomad 1d

need teamates

shud know English
indian or any
have discord
my rank iron but i play gud pls carry me
contact me on discord id-BOWDI#7641

need teamates
captain mcghee
captain mcghee captain mcghee
LV.2 Lurker 1d

Bronze * ranked

Bronze * ranked
Zenex
Zenex Zenex
LV.2 Lurker 2d

rank game gold 1

looking for some players to rank up with

rank game gold 1
BK3een
BK3een BK3een
LV.3 Lurker 2d

Finding party

IGN; AfterTeaTym #2585
Unrated only

Finding party
AfterTeaTym
AfterTeaTym AfterTeaTym
LV.9 Breacher 3d

NUC3AR is Recruiting(N3C)!?!

We are recruiting gamers that are looking for a growing clan and a good clan. For more information dm and the only 3 requirement is have discord, you’ll have to tryout, and last if you do make it you’ll have to be as most active as you can. So good luck everyone and we’re always glad to welcome you!!!

(Nuke)SkullFace
(Nuke)SkullFace (Nuke)SkullFace
LV.22 S 3d

Pew Pew Pew

Pew Pew Pew
Pew Pew Pew
AceD
AceD AceD
LV.7 Dream Chaser 3d

Looking for some homies to play valorant

Yeah that really sums it up really 🙄

Looking for some homies to play valorant
SilenceXD
SilenceXD SilenceXD
LV.2 Lurker 3d

I want to find squad cause i don’t have friends

Im silver 2

I want to find squad cause i don’t have friends
gamer698977829
gamer698977829 gamer698977829
LV.2 Lurker 3d

smurf for me

can someone smurf for me i’m bronze 2 trying to get to gold

smurf for me
jackolantornie
jackolantornie jackolantornie
LV.2 Lurker 3d

I need an iron valorant squad.

I am a 12 year old iron 2 valorant try hard.
I'm looking for a party.
If you are interested DM me and I will send you my discord.

I need an iron valorant squad.
Protocol75
Protocol75 Protocol75
LV.3 Lurker 3d

Join my discord

I’m building a community on Discord it will be great if YOU could join Press the link down below to join I would really appreciate it. If the link expires let me know so I can send it to you https://discord.gg/agcAJVMmfz

Join my discord
ShadowJosh18
LV.19 4x Champion! 3d

LFG?

Looking for some nice active people to join a friendly group. We are active and play lots. We also have comp teams but you can also play casual ofc. (In discord servers)

LFG?
Izak Greeff Izak Greeff
LV.4 Lurker 4d

Ace

Ace
Ace
Space_Walker01
Space_Walker01 Space_Walker01
LV.20 Shadow 4d

My gf just joined a tournament last minute LOL

These GOATS called 'Keiiro and Wives' literally joined a tournament 2 hours before it starts. Go give them your energy!!

https://twitch.tv/keiirokv

My gf just joined a tournament last minute LOL
VauseKV
VauseKV VauseKV
LV.23 Dream Chaser 4d

Brrrrrrrrt

Brrrrrrrrt
Brrrrrrrrt
AceD
AceD AceD
LV.7 Dream Chaser 4d

Omen

???🤪

Omen
Omen
GLHF
GLHF GLHF
LV.3 Lurker 4d

Play with me please

I’m looking for someone to play with I can’t rank up. I mainly play raze but I’m fine with any agent. I play Europe server and I don’t have a mic. I’m iron 2 btw

Play with me please
DogInAnUber
DogInAnUber DogInAnUber
LV.2 Lurker 4d

IRON II 😅 🇵🇭

Anyone up for a game? Not that good, but let's have fun.

😉

HK & SINGAPORE SERVERS 😅

IRON II 😅 🇵🇭
Arv
Arv Arv
LV.2 Lurker 4d

Newwwww

https://youtu.be/k8C1WkjpDgs

Newwwww
PenteCost
PenteCost PenteCost
LV.11 Chief 4d

Dezolve the Competition

Hello I'm wanting to grow a competitive Valorant community. Please join and DM me on moot with your discord name so I can give you a competitive role. I worked really hard making this server and would love to see it grow.
https://discord.gg/wpDZcfN2Cb
The link shouldn't expire, but if it does pls tell me.

Dezolve the Competition
XxDodgy
XxDodgy XxDodgy
LV.19 Professional Noob 4d

I really thought I hit her

I thought I hit the op shot on her leg(blood effect), so I pulled out the shorty to hit her once to finish her.
https://clips.twitch.tv/CharmingPlumpDiamondPlanking
Turns out my crosshair stopped at her body and I shot but it still didn't count as a hit.
#Valorant

KeiiroKV
KeiiroKV KeiiroKV
LV.17 Wizard 5d

Went from silver 2 to gold 3 in 3 games D:

AstralEX
AstralEX AstralEX
LV.7 Insomniac 5d

Sneaky😏

This is thE funniest thing to me
(creds to my friend for catching this clip)

Sneaky😏
Sneaky😏
Lady Yellow
Lady Yellow Lady Yellow
LV.21 GG 5d

Did my first ever character reskins

Mini Master
Mini Master Mini Master
LV.5 Lurker 5d

how bad i suck

so like im stuck on iron 1 and im ready to get bullied so go ahead

how bad i suck
gabe is cool kid
gabe is cool kid gabe is cool kid
LV.2 Lurker 5d

FIRST 2 aces

First time got 2 aces in a competitive match . Then in the next match i came upon some godly players who killed me a lot of times.

FIRST 2 aces
MRASHRAFPLAYZ
MRASHRAFPLAYZ MRASHRAFPLAYZ
LV.8 Dream Chaser 5d

Join my discord 👇🏻

I’m building a community on Discord it will be great if YOU could join Press the link down below to join I would really appreciate it. https://discord.gg/vF8KTdUkjX

Join my discord 👇🏻
ShadowJosh18
LV.19 4x Champion! 5d

He mad cuz he bad

This Jett player clearly heard me using the rope & he was in the smoke for a brief moment too but he decided to slow walk around?
https://clips.twitch.tv/TastyRoundNuggetsFloof
Several rounds later, same Jett player added me as friend & telling people to report me😂Guy got mad cause he got caught flanking twice the same way & he's Diamond 1 btw 😐
(Ignore my stream chat, it's positioned on the bottom left in my overlay)
#Valorant

He mad cuz he bad
He mad cuz he bad
KeiiroKV
KeiiroKV KeiiroKV
LV.17 Wizard 6d

I Make Montages!

If anyone is interested in me making them a montage that will be posted to my youtube video with all your links and such, please dm me!

I Make Montages!
AimbotOnly
AimbotOnly AimbotOnly
LV.2 Lurker 6d

Epic 1 Vs 2 win

Epic 1 Vs 2 win

#valorant
#valorantclips

Check out my channel
https://youtu.be/fKnmSva5W1Y

Epic 1 Vs 2 win
Epic 1 Vs 2 win
Harshal Mevada
Harshal Mevada Harshal Mevada
LV.2 Lurker 5d

Is anyone up to group stream?

Hey! My boyfriend and I recently started streaming together, we we're talking and wondered if anyone would possibly consider talking to us, getting to know eachother, and streaming together?! We play VALORANT, GTA V, Rainbow 6 siege, minecraft, and many more games.. Anyone is welcome just drop your discord and I'll get to you asap! :)

Is anyone up to group stream?
xJoy
xJoy xJoy
LV.6 I'm a Bot 6d

Rankup Speed running

Iron 3 - Bronze 2 Full lobby less rank up fast !!!! Add me Apoll0 #6301

Rankup Speed running
Apoll0
Apoll0 Apoll0
LV.2 Lurker 6d
Home