Ryan verified Admin
Nov 22, 2020, 08:36 AM 562 read

First Impressions: TFT Fates

As many of you probably already know, Teamfight Tactics is a League of Legends-themed auto battler game originally based on Dota Auto Chess. I first reviewed TFT near the start of this year but much of what I wrote no longer applies now after the recent “Fates” update brought significant changes to the game. Most of this review will focus on Fates itself, but I’ll also explore the game’s evolution as a whole and whether or not TFT has improved as much as I hoped it would when it first launched last year.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: TFT Fates image 16

Before diving into Fates, I’ll briefly explain TFT’s general gameplay for anyone who is unfamiliar with the auto battler genre. Your goal is to outlast your opponents in last-man-standing style gameplay by defeating your enemies in a series of 1v1 matches. These matches are automatically fought by your arsenal of champions each combat round. You can equip your champions with items to make them more powerful as well as combine 3 copies of the same champion in order to level it up. Champions also have unique traits and in order to be successful, it’s necessary to build your team composition with different champions that share the same or synergistic traits.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: TFT Fates image 4

Now that we’ve got the basics out of the way, let’s dive into Fates. Unlike Galaxies, which included several different universes each with its own set of rules, Fates only has one universe and instead features “Chosen” champions. Although Chosen champions cost 3 times as much gold as their normal variants, they automatically start off at the 2-star level, have bonus health, and provide a boost to one of their traits. Chosen champions are very powerful but you can only have one at any given time. This means that it is imperative to select your Chosen champion wisely, as they are often the most important unit on your side of the battlefield, but it’s important to note that there is a significant amount of RNG involved so getting a good Chosen champion requires much more strategy than it initially appears.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: TFT Fates image 6

In comparison to Galaxies, Fates is more accessible for novice players but also more difficult. Because there’s only one major mechanic in Fates rather than the several different universes in Galaxies, new players have fewer curveballs to worry about while they’re trying to learn the basics. With that said however, the game also loses some much-welcome variation which can lead to things becoming stale. Furthermore, this lack of variation makes it so that the meta is much more refined which means that newer players will likely find themselves losing frequently. Not only that, but players will likely be unable to learn much from their losses because of the difficulty in discerning what exactly is “working” and what isn’t. This saps the fun out of exploration and means that players will likely be better off researching the meta and looking up what the best comps are.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: TFT Fates image 8

As far as TFT as a whole is concerned, the game has certainly made some improvements but I’m honestly pretty surprised at how few there have been. One major improvement is that you can now see item recipes by examining the items you own, but unfortunately this feature is partially disabled during the carousel rounds when it would be at its most useful. Furthermore, you still can’t sell champions during the carousel rounds which makes it so that you can end up with bad item combinations if you happen to grab a champion that levels up one of your units. These sorts of things make the game continue to feel unfinished and are issues I certainly thought would be fixed by now when I initially reviewed the game at the start of the year.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: TFT Fates image 10

While Fates does bring many notable changes to the game and TFT as a whole has seen improvements, Teamfight Tactics hasn’t done anything significant enough to entice players who aren’t already interested in auto battlers. It feels like the game’s quality-of-life progression has been slow and I found Fates to be less exciting than Galaxies overall. If you’re a fan of Teamfight Tactics or auto battlers in general then Fates is at least worth checking out, but I think the game continues to be too inaccessible to warrant attention from players who aren’t already interested in the genre.   Ryan’s Rating: 3.5/5   Teamfight Tactics is free to play and is available on PC, Android, and iOS.   You can check out the Moot TFT lounge here:

As well as my original review of the game here:

Comment 7

• Snyper Eyes LV.27 Team Player Nov 22, 2020, 09:03 AM

Tbh TFT is fairly confusing to understand IMO. Like mentioned the Meta is very difficult to learn, you can use one build and get creamed by another but when you use that other one you get creamed by the one you used prior. The placement of champions matters a lot as well and I don’t think there is enough time between matches to change anything major in regards to placements

• Cow Boy Billy LV.29 Billy Nov 22, 2020, 09:06 AM

Yea I dont have time to learn all the stuff for that game. I just stick with LoL

• MrWallManMain verified LV.33 Mod Nov 22, 2020, 09:03 AM

Jeez, I’ve completely forgotten about this game, especially since Legends of Runeterra was released.

• Cow Boy Billy LV.29 Billy Nov 22, 2020, 09:05 AM

Sup Ryan 🙂

• Ordaniry_gamer LV.23 Sharpshooter Nov 23, 2020, 02:25 AM

Yeah that rating feels right its not bad but it feels very unfriendly towards new players especially if they have no clue about LOL. I would be good if they let you look at the items and characters in the menu screen to know more about the game but the best you can do is go to YouTube or wiki to learn more about the weapons, characters, and their synergies along with the meta. It can be fun but it almost feels like a shot in the dark when playing it since you don't really know much about what goes well with each other or how to level up properly how to save coins to earn more coins and so on. Its kinda intresting but also very troublesome so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get many new players.

• FarCritical LV.19 Sage Nov 25, 2020, 11:45 AM

I feel like TFT is a fun game because the meta changes so often, but it's also why new players find it hard to learn and enjoy. As a player that enjoyed TFT since season 1, I personally enjoy the chosen system and the new changes, but for new players, there's just so much to learn.

• MacK LV.5 Lurker Nov 26, 2020, 04:08 AM

Hm

Home