VauseKV LV.21 Dream Chaser
Aug 2, 2020, 12:19 AM 29 read

Seeing VR being used in other creative ways makes me happy 🤩

My very first VR experience was when I was in Trinity College in Dublin. Given my interest in art and being a psychology undergraduate, obviously I was going to visit the exhibition on expressing trauma through art that was held in their science gallery (Trauma: Built to Break). The one that really left an impression on me was Project Syria by Nonny de la Peña. Through my headset, a confused me was looking at what seemed to be normal life in the streets of Syria. I didn't get it because I wasn't paying attention to what kind of exhibition this was. What's so special? And that's when the bomb hit. Everything shattered in my view, the sound was loud, there was dust in my eyes. I was perfectly fine, but I also wasn't. The dust was in VR, but my reactions to it were very real. I had difficulties breathing and my eyes started watering. That experience shook me.   Though gaming is the primary way I engage with VR right now, and I seldom think about Project Syria, that experience never really left me. Without really realizing it, I've been constantly seeking to feel that level of empathy again through experiences like Tree VR or traversing through the vast alien environment in No Man's Sky.   Even though I'm within 4 walls, VR takes me to places that I can only imagine, and allows me to connect and feel deeply, truly, to the happenings around me, without the fear of being vulnerable. And I think that has really helped me have a more open mindset, and be more vulnerable with people I trust.   My personal wish is to see VR flourish and become more widely accepted/affordable not just for gaming, but for building social connections, for safer industrial training, to induce empathy and promote understanding in people, and to create amazing, breathtaking architecture/spaces in VR among tons of other things that VR is capable of.   https://vrscout.com/news/us-fire-administration-vr-firefighter-training/?fbclid=IwAR2YRXFK0SfvKrqqN7BGwSavMJMP6iG4vqQX8XOhXllscdf_QYHQzH6cfZE

#thoughtcabinet #virtualreality

Comment 5

• §vinyl§ LV.30 Legend Aug 2, 2020, 12:21 AM

I wish I had VR (╥﹏╥)

• VauseKV LV.21 Dream Chaser Aug 2, 2020, 02:59 AM

Save up for it in the future heheh

• §vinyl§ LV.30 Legend Aug 2, 2020, 03:00 AM

Hmmm if only I was good at saving money

• VauseKV LV.21 Dream Chaser Aug 2, 2020, 03:00 AM

Time to learn xD

• §vinyl§ LV.30 Legend Aug 2, 2020, 03:01 AM

Indeed ima go to money school