Ryan verified Admin
Jul 11, 2020, 05:16 AM 2,596 read

First Impressions: Hue

Hue is a narrative puzzle platformer with a heavy emphasis on color-centric gameplay. As you embark on a journey to restore color to a dark and grey world, the secrets of your environment slowly reveal themselves as the story unfolds. With a gorgeous aesthetic and a vibrant premise, what kind of colorful gameplay does Hue have in store?

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Hue image 2

In Hue, you play as the title character Hue, a silent, somber boy who is uniquely able to control colors. The world is almost entirely grey, with the only dashes of color existing as blockades that have disrupted the way of life of this world’s inhabitants. At first you are as colorless as the rest of the world but as your journey progresses, you will expand your palette one color at a time until you’ve acquired an arsenal full of vibrant colors.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Hue image 4

The puzzling in this game is fairly straightforward. When you select a background color from your color wheel, blocks of that color disappear from the foreground, enabling you to move past them. Blocks of other colors will then appear in the foreground, either presenting a new obstacle or a new tool which you can move around in order to progress through the level. There are also platforming elements to each puzzle, but most of the platforming is pretty linear and doesn’t require many precise or quick-twitch movements.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Hue image 6

The game’s story is two-fold. On the surface, the story is about Hue’s quest to fill his color wheel and bring vibrancy into his bleak world. However, there is also a second story which is told through narration via letters that you pick up in game. This second story focuses on the real world, and is a pseudo-philosophical rendition of the developer’s journey through life.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Hue image 8

While all of the major elements of Hue are reminiscent of qualities I’ve loved in other games, I found Hue’s manifestation of these qualities to be lacking pretty much across the board. The story is boring, and the pseudo-philosophical narrative is frankly laughable. The game tries to present questions like “What if your blue isn’t the same as my blue?” as if it’s some profound, revolutionary statement. It’s like putting peanut butter and jelly on a sandwich and genuinely believing that you’re a master chef. It might be amusing at first, but it gets really old very quickly.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Hue image 10

The platforming is extremely lackluster and feels unpolished. The puzzles, for the most part, are very easy, yet they take an annoyingly long time to complete. The fun of a puzzle game is figuring out how to solve the puzzle, not going through the motions of inputting the solution. Unfortunately, there were many times in Hue when I walked into a level, instantly saw how to solve the puzzle, but then had to spend 5 minutes moving things around to actually execute the solution. This isn’t fun, at least not for me.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Hue image 12

I don’t want to portray Hue as a game that has no redeemable qualities. The art is truly gorgeous and the music is pleasant, but beyond that I feel like this game takes a bunch of decent ideas and executes them to a mediocre level. I do think that this game could appeal to novices and those who typically find most puzzle games to be too difficult, but an experienced puzzle platformer will likely find Hue to be too easy, too tedious, and too boring. I think Hue offers something for someone, but that someone just isn’t me.   Ryan’s Rating: 3/5   Hue retails for $15 and is available on PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita, and Nintendo Switch.

Comment 55

• Dobbyis_agod LV.12 Super Star Jul 11, 2020, 01:11 PM

I have had this game before. It is a GREAT game. 10/10. I HIGHLY recomend getting this game.

• Ordaniry_gamer LV.22 Shotcaller Jul 11, 2020, 07:05 AM

That's disappointing its sounded great at first but if a game developer doesn't put quality into their gameplay and story development how can it be expected for players to want to play it.

• YourBoyVega LV.15 Dub Collector Jul 11, 2020, 07:40 AM

It seems fun, I’ll have to check it out sometime

• ɃØᵾNȻƗNǤŁɆMᵾɌ™ LV.22 Mobile Jul 11, 2020, 07:13 PM

Too easy.. disappointed ☹️

• Gear On YT LV.10 Game Critic Jul 12, 2020, 04:21 AM

I think its great. but I swear if that depressed ass bitch keeps talking in my ear every five minutes I will fucking slap her when I'm done

• ImDaxtus LV.19 Clearly Hacking Jul 13, 2020, 03:25 PM

hell yea, every single time she spoke I almost just took a makeshift bomb to my computer

• TheAverageAgentYT LV.18 Sage Jul 11, 2020, 10:17 PM

I tried to play this game! It was fun at the beginning. But at the certain state we need to control the jump and the colour where I fail! I know the character jumps in slow motion but still, I felt like missing a lot of jumps. Maybe it is me

• DïâmøñdNØGlìżżÿ LV.17 Sage Jul 11, 2020, 05:43 AM

I think too hard

• Lilliya LV.17 Sage Jul 12, 2020, 12:43 AM

Looks a bit interesting. o.o

• z0acl LV.16 Sweaty Jul 11, 2020, 07:16 AM

X

• Aggro Kothcap LV.19 Sweaty Jul 11, 2020, 01:57 PM

W

• TheOriginalGlow LV.6 Sweaty Jul 11, 2020, 03:07 PM

L

• MushroomHead LV.28 Monster Jul 11, 2020, 09:43 PM

comment