VauseKV LV.21 Insomniac
May 25, 2020, 04:46 PM 48 read

Disco Elysium Thought Cabinet: Reality Low-Down

Disco Elysium is undoubtedly one of the best RPGs I’ve ever laid my hands on. If you like engaging in deeper, thought-provoking narrative, Disco Elysium is probably a title you want to give a shot. Briefly breaking it down, there are a total of 24 skills that influence how you approach in-game decision making. All of it serves to provide you with a clearer picture of what’s going on in the game. Even though there are suggestions, it doesn’t necessarily hold your hand throughout the game because ultimately, you’re making decisions about yourself and about who you are. This gives players a lot of freedom to shape their character, which is the heart of what any good table top RPG provides.   Now, 200 IQ is not necessary to play this game as most information can be gained through reading and comprehension. However, there are times where you will find yourself hung up on certain dialogue or action. Throughout my play through, I’ve come across a few little thought nuggets that I can’t seem to shake which is why I’ve written it down in an attempt to understand what’s going on within my head in a cohesive manner. There might be more as I progress through the game and I’m considering writing down these thought nuggets accompanied by the original quote that started off the whole process.  

Indie Games: General - Disco Elysium Thought Cabinet: Reality Low-Down image 2

There exist, in this game, some parts that are reflective of real life and it can be pretty grim. After all, art imitates life imitates art. It’s a cycle where we learn and take inspiration from, and then contributing further to its endless rotation. When I came across this, there was a moment in my head where I imagined a skull engulfed in fire, glowing embers flitting about, and then… ash and dust. In this case, what I understood from it is that our existence is short-lived (duh). When we pass on from this world to the next unknown, there will be nothing left of us except ash and dust… but that’s not all. There are also the memories held by those who cherished us dearly. We may not be immortal, but we can still live, for awhile, beyond our physical body, in the form of our loved ones’ memories.   “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou   Memories of us will be all that’s left when we pass on. It’s better to live your best life by being kind and courteous to the people around you, by being mindful of your actions and your words. It’s better to keep an open mind and discard your ego when you approach subjects beyond your knowledge and ability. Ultimately, how you make people feel through your actions is what people will remember you for. Of course, we’re only human and sometimes we slip up. Sometimes we lose our temper and end up hurting someone else but what defines us is whether we are brave enough to genuinely own up to our mistakes and make things right again. What defines being human is our ability to make adjustments for the better.   #ThoughtCabinet #DiscoElysium

Comment 9

• This review has been deleted.

• VauseKV LV.21 Insomniac Jul 5, 2020, 03:55 PM

It's not a happy game, I'll tell you that. It's a critique in the form of a game.

• VauseKV LV.21 Insomniac Jul 5, 2020, 04:06 PM

It's a lot of reading, but the characters have depth and a lot of times, you can draw parallels to real life. If you like that sort of game, I would highly recommend it. I'm also working on breaking down one particular scene I came across in game but haven't posted that yet 😅 Thank you for reading though ❤️

• VauseKV LV.21 Insomniac Jul 5, 2020, 04:29 PM

Currently it's only for PC. You can get it on Steam or GOG, etc. However, they are planning on console ports later in the year (PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch) 😊

• VauseKV LV.21 Insomniac Jul 5, 2020, 04:35 PM

Lags_Bot  Awesome! When you get the chance to, here's a piece of advice: take it slow, and don't be afraid to fail because unlike other games, failure isn't a dead end, it's part of the game experience. I know it sounds dumb, and you've probably heard it being used to describe other games, but I assure you after you've completed it for the first time you'll be see it even clearer that that's a truth 😊

• AngryDucky LV.19 Sage Jul 5, 2020, 09:32 PM

Nice one, Vause! Thank you

• VauseKV LV.21 Insomniac Jul 5, 2020, 09:33 PM

No, thank YOU for allowing me to be able to play this gorgeous title :3

Home