Ryan Ryan verified Admin
May 9, 2020, 07:20 AM 1,241 read

Ryan's Always Right: Gris

Gris is an innovative puzzle platformer boasting a “serene and evocative experience, free of danger, frustration or death.” Gris initially caught my eye due to its beautiful, unique art style. Is the game as charming as its aesthetic?

Indie Games: General - Ryan's Always Right: Gris image 2

Gris tells the story of a hopeful young girl who is lost in a bleak, colorless world. While this strange new reality isn’t dangerous, its tones of hopelessness and sorrow are strongly radiated. You must guide Gris on a journey to find her voice and overcome her sorrow, restoring color and life to the world around her.

Indie Games: General - Ryan's Always Right: Gris image 4

In Gris, there is no text or dialogue. Instead, the story is told subtly through the music, artwork, and evolving gameplay mechanics. As you progress through the game and learn more abilities, Gris and the world change as well. Color floods into the world like paint on canvas and new life is awoken in game. Make no mistake, while the game itself is quite enjoyable, the artwork certainly takes center stage here.

Indie Games: General - Ryan's Always Right: Gris image 6

Speaking of gameplay, Gris is both incredibly unique and incredibly familiar. Unlike most platformers, it is impossible to die or fail in Gris. There are no lives, no enemies, and no dangers. This has its benefits because it enables the player to focus on the artwork and the narrative and makes the game accessible for players of all skill levels. That said it also has its downsides. For example, the lack of any threat makes the situations that are supposed to be pulse-pounding and suspenseful feel much less intense.

Indie Games: General - Ryan's Always Right: Gris image 8

As unique as Gris is in many aspects, it also felt similar to its contemporaries in several regards. The narrative style felt similar to Limbo or Inside. The bird and chase scenes were reminiscent of Ori and the Blind Forest. The story itself reminded me of Transistor. This isn’t a knock against Gris by any means; in fact these were all great elements of fantastic games. I merely bring this up to point out that Gris isn’t some entirely off-the-wall, avant garde game that only artsy people will like. Gris has an extremely wide appeal and likely offers something for just about everyone.

Indie Games: General - Ryan's Always Right: Gris image 10

Gris provides a simple, yet satisfying puzzle platformer experience. Although the game is easy enough for even a complete novice to complete and enjoy, it’s unique and captivating enough to entice even the most seasoned of gamers. With gorgeous music, a captivating world, and seamless puzzle platforming, Gris offers a delightful gameplay experience wrapped in a one-of-a-kind artistic spectacle.   Ryan’s Rating: 4.5/5   Gris retails for $17 and is available on PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Mobile.

Comment 25

• Reusablebelt171 LV.29 Insomniac May 9, 2020, 07:22 AM

It looks beautiful

• (:TuBER:) LV.24 Sweaty May 9, 2020, 08:10 AM

That’s my next game I’m going to get

• VauseKV LV.16 Insomniac May 9, 2020, 12:23 PM

One of the things I love most about this game, aside from the beautiful art and music, is that the gameplay mechanics also intertwines with the story the game is trying to tell: about a girl finding herself again and overcoming darkness. Without spoiling it too much, a hint at the very first ability: it teaches you to "weather the storm". In my opinion, the way story and mechanics intertwine makes it an even more satisfying game to play because I feel immersed, like I am helping her through her journey and trying to "learn" to overcome to this darkness on my own too.

• Koffeethefox LV.19 Sage May 9, 2020, 02:18 PM

i love that i might get this game to overcome my own darkness

• Crovvvvitch LV.3 Lurker May 12, 2020, 07:14 AM

I never thought about the abilities and what they may represent. I love that so so much.

• VauseKV LV.16 Insomniac May 12, 2020, 01:40 PM

That's one of the things that made me fall in love with the game aside from the obvious gorgeous art :3

• Birdman LV.3 Lurker May 9, 2020, 07:21 AM

Indeed Ryan we are always right

• SleazyMango27 LV.27 Titan May 9, 2020, 03:27 PM

haven't really said much first these are very well put together but the titles Ryan's always right turns me off of them just so arrogant

• Ryan verified Admin May 18, 2020, 10:11 AM

• L LV.6 The Best May 9, 2020, 09:50 PM

This game is 8.99 right now bro this was the best game I ever played!

• PeErre LV.23 Let's Party! May 10, 2020, 05:06 AM

😍

• ErikPlays43 LV.27 Be my Mootentine ❤️ May 11, 2020, 04:05 AM

this game looks like a fun game to vibe to

• Steelstrange465 LV.22 Team Player May 11, 2020, 08:01 AM

I say Mythymoo play it, too

• Crovvvvitch LV.3 Lurker May 12, 2020, 07:15 AM

I bought this game though HB without knowing much about it. I appreciate this post a lot and it made me like the game even more. It really is a beautiful, serene universe.

• Ryan verified Admin May 18, 2020, 10:11 AM

Humble Bundle is awesome! I've gotten so many great games from there.

• ×~ merightmeow~× LV.2 4x Champion! May 12, 2020, 07:24 AM

I just saw this, reading through, it sounds cool so I will download it ok now it's for $4.99 me having no money in US I can't afford it-_- it looks cool though wish I could download it guess imma have to steal my dad's credit card to buy it but I'm too lazy to get up and get it plus my dog is sleeping on me :p

• A5.vOid LV.20 Parasite May 13, 2020, 05:47 AM

Fun fact: The name Gris originates from the Mexican language. Gris means gray, and the world is colorless is the game Gris.

• imani LV.1 Mootie May 10, 2020, 03:11 PM

Hi

• Ninzeuz LV.5 Mob May 12, 2020, 08:11 AM

I thought it said girls

• XD_Neönツ LV.8 Sweaty May 12, 2020, 10:01 AM

XD

Home