Ryan Ryan verified Admin
May 2, 2020, 08:22 AM 3,078 read

First Impressions: Crashlands

Crashlands is a 2D action-adventure role-playing game with an emphasis on crafting, combat, and exploration. While I didn’t know much about the game going into it, Crashlands is available for free on the Epic Games Store (from now until May 7) so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to give it a shot.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Crashlands image 2

In Crashlands you play as Flux, a galactic trucker whose spaceship gets destroyed by the evil Hewgodooko. After crash landing on a strange planet, you must prepare to build your new home by exploring the area and collecting resources. You can use these resources to create tools and weapons which will help you navigate your strange new environment.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Crashlands image 4

Crashlands is completely open world which is fun overall but can be a bit hit or miss at times. For example, it’s very easy to get lost in this game as there’s no minimap and many of the areas lack personality and blend together when exploring. To top it off: the map is enormous, it only updates based on the exact ground you’ve traveled, and your character moves extremely slowly which makes travelling in general a bore. While I do love that the game lets you travel back to your home (or to a waypoint) from any place on the map if you stray too far off the path, this feature alone isn’t enough to overcome the otherwise lackluster exploration which is, unfortunately, the core of the gameplay.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Crashlands image 6

Where Crashlands does shine in comparison to many similar games is in combat. Unlike many farming/crafting exploration games where the monsters are simply blobs in dungeons who just run at you, the monsters in Crashlands have unique attacks and interesting mechanics. Most monsters can 1-shot you at all stages of the game which makes combat require your full attention. Again, this has its pros and cons as it makes the combat much more interesting but also detracts from the otherwise chill and relaxed atmosphere of a crafting game.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Crashlands image 8

My first impressions overall are pretty meh. While I could definitely see myself lazily putting some hours into this game, I doubt I would ever finish it. In general I felt like Crashlands was designed entirely to be played on mobile and that many aspects that would be “features” on mobile turned into annoyances on PC. While I could see this being an absolutely incredible mobile game for its retail price of $5, I don’t think it’s worth buying at all on PC. That said, it’s free right now on the Epic Games Store so I’d still recommend downloading it yourself and giving it a shot.   Ryan's Rating: 3/5   Crashlands is available on PC and the Nintendo Switch for $15, as well as Android and iOS for $5. It is also available for free from the Epic Games Store from now until May 7.

Comment 16

• Cosmos96 LV.4 Lurker May 3, 2020, 11:04 AM

I'll give it a try.

• TTYLEGEND LV.8 PlayStation May 4, 2020, 05:17 AM

Hell no

• OrphicSonder LV.2 Lurker May 4, 2020, 05:23 AM

This has been on mobile for a couple years and I love it! Didn’t know it was on other platforms too, gonna have to put more hours into it now!

• • t r x s h • LV.7 Nomad May 4, 2020, 05:11 AM

it's my childhood tbh

• SnorlaxUsedMist LV.4 Mootiversary! May 4, 2020, 05:14 AM

its on Android but ive finish the game a long ass time ago and man do i say its hella good

• Dark Lord LV.5 Lurker May 4, 2020, 05:18 AM

if only it were free rip

• Ryan verified Admin May 5, 2020, 03:56 AM

It's free on Epic Games Store right now! As long as you claim it before May 7 you'll be able to keep the game forever.

• Dark Lord LV.5 Lurker May 5, 2020, 04:15 AM

i just saw thanks ;0

• IvA LV.15 OPFOR May 4, 2020, 05:19 AM

it is an amazing rpg game

• Kidgamer99 LV.10 Apex > Fortnite May 4, 2020, 05:05 AM

Is it on Xbox

• St4r Dash3rs LV.7 4x Champion! May 4, 2020, 05:14 AM

no

• Kidgamer99 LV.10 Apex > Fortnite May 4, 2020, 06:04 AM

Rip

• Justin Pack LV.2 Lurker May 4, 2020, 05:11 AM

justinjpack