Ryan verified Admin
Feb 8, 2020, 06:47 AM 10,685 read

First Impressions: Ticket to Ride

Ticket to Ride is a video game adaptation of the classic board game of the same name. In Ticket to Ride, your basic goal is to outscore your opponent by connecting different cities via train routes. Although I’ve never played the physical board game, I do enjoy board games in general and Ticket to Ride is currently available for free on the Epic Games Store, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Ticket to Ride image 2

The gameplay is fairly simple and mirrors that of a board game. You have a deck of cards, and each card is a train of a random color. By collecting enough train cards of the color you need, you can place them on the board and claim a route. Each route you place earns points, and you get bonus points by connecting the 2 cities on your train ticket. At the end of the game, each player’s points are tallied up, and the player with the most points wins.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Ticket to Ride image 4

For a game that’s nearly a decade old, Ticket to Ride severely lacks polish. I encountered so many instances of bugs and UI errors. For example, look at the "All players" text in the image below. These sorts of things are all over the game, and it gives the impression that the developers really don’t care about their users or the product.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Ticket to Ride image 6

Do you like variety? Well too bad. While the game has about 15 maps, you’re only allowed to play one. If you want to try a different map, they cost $5 each and you can't unlock them in-game. It’s such a blatant cash grab and the maps aren’t actually any different; the cities just have different names.

Indie Games: General - First Impressions: Ticket to Ride image 8

The worst part of it all? The gameplay isn’t even fun. There aren’t any difficulty settings and the AI just randomly places pieces on the board with absolutely no strategy whatsoever. It’s borderline impossible to lose. Not only that, but you constantly get spammed with pop ups during your turn. It’s like the developers did everything they could to make this game as anti-fun as possible. I feel like the only reason to play this game would be if you’re already a fan of the physical board game and want to play it with your friends who live far away from you.   Ryan’s Rating: 1/5   This game sucks. Which is really a shame because, by all accounts, the board game itself is actually really fun.   If you think I’m being overly harsh and want to try out Ticket to Ride for yourself, you can get it for free on the Epic Games Store from now until February 13. As always, be sure to follow me for next week’s review!

Comment 22

• McSmigglesworth LV.29 Wizard Feb 9, 2020, 12:18 AM

Lol “this game sucks” XD

• Lucidem LV.27 Nightmare Feb 8, 2020, 03:26 PM

• Himo prk LV.1 Mootie Feb 9, 2020, 06:11 AM

give me fortnite account

• The Ramen Bandit verified LV.33 Bandit Feb 9, 2020, 09:49 AM

?

• Dh@rma LV.7 Swifty Sailor Feb 9, 2020, 07:53 AM

hahaha directly on trash

• Ordaniry_gamer LV.22 Default Savior Feb 9, 2020, 09:38 AM

Honestly kept trying to give a chance but as I read it just became more blatant that its poorly developed with poor intentions. Shame when you think about it.☹

• Banana ツ LV.30 Legend Feb 9, 2020, 04:05 AM

It’s free on the “Epic Games” store I’m sure that should’ve been the first warning the game wasn’t any good

• Ryan verified Admin Feb 11, 2020, 05:56 AM

They've actually given away some really good games for free (like Celeste which was 2018's GOTY)... unfortunately this was not one of them.

• Banana ツ LV.30 Legend Feb 11, 2020, 06:47 AM

Sometimes they do, but very rarely. I agree with Celeste that game was great

• ɃØᵾNȻƗNǤŁɆMᵾɌ™ LV.22 Mobile Feb 9, 2020, 07:44 AM

looks very... interesting

I'll pass.

• ObliviousRex verified LV.35 Mod Feb 11, 2020, 06:01 AM
  • Ryan verified Admin Feb 13, 2020, 04:45 PM

Yeah it's really unfortunate because that's what I've heard from pretty much everyone (especially Dylan). I try to have a board game night with my friends once a month, maybe I'll pick up Ticket to Ride!

• ObliviousRex verified LV.35 Mod Feb 14, 2020, 02:10 AM

They have a bunch of different versions of it, like those map packs, but pretty much all of them are fun. Pricey though, all things considered. It’s a simple game; very easy to learn. Only one I haven’t played that I’m aware of is the kids version, but my son isn’t quite of age yet.

• Skullkidfan verified LV.35 Master Feb 9, 2020, 06:08 AM

do undertale

• Ryan verified Admin Feb 13, 2020, 04:45 PM

I have a feeling you're gonna like this week's review 😉

• Skullkidfan verified LV.35 Master Feb 13, 2020, 10:08 PM

can't wait

• WolfPaxHD dog LV.25 Wolf Feb 9, 2020, 06:09 AM

I agree with this review

• FUCK YOU KID LV.23 Boo! Feb 10, 2020, 09:32 AM

Stinky poopy game

• Xภvyツ LV.2 Duo queue god Feb 9, 2020, 06:08 AM

• Lucasbaker123121 LV.3 Lurker Feb 9, 2020, 06:13 AM