Dragon LV.20 Dragon
Dec 5, 2017, 07:30 AM 979 read

Best Game of 2017?

Written by Charlie Hall

PUBG: General - Best Game of 2017? image 2

This year has seen explosive growth in the so-called “battle royale” space and no game has been more prominent — or more popular — than Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds.   What do I mean by popular? I’m writing this story on a Friday afternoon and more than a million people are playing online (according to Steamcharts). In August, Battlegrounds kicked Dota 2 out of the top spot on Steam, a position that Valve’s MOBA had held for years. It’s unlikely to surrender the spot anytime soon.   Battlegrounds isn’t just popular. It’s also very, very good. Critics in the game industry, including here at Polygon, are actively considering this unfinished, early access title for game of the year.   So how did we get here? And what should you expect in 2018?   Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds is a last-man-standing multiplayer arena shooter. It blends elements of traditional survival games like DayZ with the fast-paced action and leaderboard of something like Counter-Strike. Around 100 players parachute onto the eight-square kilometer map, scavenge for supplies and fight to the death. The last one alive gets a “chicken dinner” filled with in-game currency. That is to say they get the pride of being #1 and a few virtual coins.   This isn’t a new game type. The battle royale genre has been around since roughly 2013. In fact, you could say that Brendan “Playerunknown” Greene is the one who invented it.   In June of 2016, I got an email from Greene about a new game he was working on. I was familiar with his Battle Royale mods for Arma 2 and Arma 3, and the work that he’d done consulting on 2015’s H1Z1 to help create its Battle Royale mode (which eventually became H1Z1: King of the Kill, before turning back into H1Z1 again).   Greene’s pitch: He was making the same kind of game, for a third time, but better.   Check out the full article here:

Comment 5

• NO NAME verified Dec 5, 2017, 08:00 AM

Honestly, I’ve been waiting for PUBG to get out of early access. I don’t think it’s fully optimized yet.

• Dragon LV.20 Dragon Dec 5, 2017, 08:02 AM

Same here! Hopefully that is right around the corner. I can only imagine that would make the game even better. Been playing Fortnite to pass the time.

• This review has been deleted.

• Devour LV.6 Nomad Dec 19, 2017, 11:09 AM

Likewise. Pubg on console is sooo laggy and buggy atm

• Michael WordenBrown LV.3 Lurker Dec 26, 2017, 09:55 PM

I have this on XB1 - despite obvious issues, the game is still entirely playable and it is actually excellent. Like the article says - the fact that it is in early access doesn’t put me off, it just means the game will go from strength to strength. Seriously, you are only missing out by not playing now.

Home