Purple Purple LV.18 Sage
Feb 10, 2018, 12:22 PM 1,337 read

PUBG's Poor Optimization is Hurting EVERYBODY - Can it be Fixed?

Story Time: I was in a gun fight against a person ~60m away who was in a 2nd story window. While I moved from one tree to another and he moved to a different window, something interesting happened. He became invisible. Now I don't mean transparent, but rather that his character model was completely indistinguishable from the window/background. I checked the replay and slowed it down to 0.25%, figuring that he must have visible on my screen and I just simply missed it. Nope.   After messing with my settings (setting brightness to max, etc) I noticed something: my resolution was set to 2560*1440 instead of 3840*2160 (4K). This probably doesn't seem like a big deal but for me it was everything. Why? Because I have a 4K monitor. After changing the resolution to 4K and watching the replay again, I could see him clear as day. The impact was absolutely massive.   So I thought, "Great! I'll just play with the right resolution and the game will be 100 times better." Nope. Turns out that even with all settings at "Very Low," I cannot play PUBG in 4K without, at least occasionally, dropping below 60fps. And it's not just my setup. There is not a single graphics card on the market that can effectively play PUBG in 4K resolution. Not a single one.   You may be thinking, "I don't have a 4K monitor so why should I care?". Here's why: it's not the graphical intensity that is causing the issue - systems that easily handle games like Witcher 3 in ultra struggle with PUBG at very low - it's the fact that PUBG isn't optimized for your hardware to be used efficiently. This means that regardless of what hardware and in-game settings you use, you're not getting the gameplay experience you should.   So what is the root of this issue and why is it hard to fix? Simply put: there's a lot of stuff going on in a game of PUBG. The map is absolutely massive, there are a ton of people each doing a bunch of different things. There's noises of different types coming from different directions at different volumes. The easy way of optimizing a game is to render fewer things. Graphically beautiful games like Horizon Zero Dawn only render what's in your visual field. Everything in front of you shows up no matter how distant it is, but everything behind you doesn't exist until you turn around.   Obviously this is not a viable solution for a battle royale like PUBG. Likewise, reducing foliage and environment rendering based on each player's hardware capabilities creates an unequal and unfair playing field.   This is a major issue, one that is not easy to fix and one that a lot of players are unaware of even though it affects every single person playing PUBG. Bluehole says they are working on it, and Patch Notes 1.03 included this message from the development team "Players, as you know, we're always working towards optimizing our gameplay environment."   I sure hope so.  

Comment 0

Home