NO NAME verified
May 28, 2019, 03:23 AM 698 read

Dauntless: Initial Thoughts and Review

The new game: Dauntless, published by Epic Games and developed by Phoenix Labs, Dauntless was created by some of the best game developers on the planet. The hype for the game has been super high, but is it deserved?

My Opinion: I think not. The game consists of teaming up with up to 3 other people to fight one monster, then returning to Ramsgate to craft new weapons. Repeat. There isn't much to the game.   - Positives: Weapons: I love the variety of weapons and the fact that each weapon can suit a different playstyle so well. Each weapon suits players in a different way with unique characteristics and abilities. Unlike other action RPGs, the weapons in Dauntless completely change the way you have to play in order to be good at the game. Stats aren't the only thing that differentiates weapons.

Upgrades: In Dauntless, you take all the pieces from Behemoths back to the town of Ramsgate. You spend less time farming the same monster over and over again for duplicate pieces to make better loot, depending on the type of item you have. You can keep upgrading these weapons even without monster parts, instead of using a general currency you get from all hunts. And you’re not punished for creating one piece of gear and then moving to experiment with another. Gear sets and weapons have stats and unique bonuses.   Probably the best part, in my opinion, is the fact that the game is 100% free-to-play and it is cross-platform. This aspect of Dauntless is super important in modern gaming. This is self-explanatory.   -Negatives: The wait. The game takes way too long simply to start playing! The first time I played, I had to wait half an hour just for the start menu. Then once I got in the game, it was even worse. It takes at least 5 minutes to find a squad and fights can last nearly 25 minutes. This is too much time. The game doesn't have enough mechanics to make a 20-25 minute fight entertaining.   More about this in this post: https://moot.us/lounges/164/boards/706/posts/1272249 (After typing this, I was scrolling through the Dauntless page and I came across this post. I realized that it goes over everything I thought about the game in more detail, so make sure to check it out.)

I think the game needs a lot of work, but that's a topic for another time, considering the game is still brand-new. It's a start to a great game, but it needs more.   Review: I do not recommend this game to those who wish to play without a squad. The wait time is unreasonable and you practically NEED a hunting party to enjoy the game. I would only recommend this game to those who have an entertaining group of friends that they can play with at any time. Otherwise, you might want to consider looking at another game until they make improvements.  

Comment 0

Home