Ninjero Ninjero LV.20 Mod
Jul 25, 2018, 12:10 AM 80,949 read

Rockstar North Likes to Kill Its Darlings

A few years ago, when I was first playing through Grand Theft Auto 5's story, I submitted a piece for community blog site Critical Distance about my complex relationship with Trevor because of the death of GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City protagonist, Johnny Klebitz. In the article ( https://medium.com/@danjlipson/why-i-cant-kill-or-forgive-trevor-ab551a122909 ) I lamented the death of perhaps the most morally sound character in GTA history in an effort to introduce the most morally deranged one, Trevor.

GTA: General - Rockstar North Likes to Kill Its Darlings image 2

With some of the online additions to GTAO, it's like Rockstar started reopening the wounds. Back in 2016, the game introduced motorcycle clubs as part of a big update. It was a great way to get players cruising around the lesser-traveled parts of Los Santos and create their own motorcycle gang together with other players.   The only problem? Rockstar North already brushed aside a huge chunk of the canon by killing Johnny early in the single-player story, and they further drove a nail into the coffin by making all of the biker-related online content centers around building a drug-smuggling empire (Johnny was very anti-drug). It seems like Rockstar wasn't just content in killing their canon, they had to bury it, too.   As Ballad of Gay Tony gets introduced into GTAO, we might have another chance for Rockstar to kill their own darlings, but because it was spared from the single-player treatment, Luis and Tony might have a bit better luck.

GTA: General - Rockstar North Likes to Kill Its Darlings image 4

While Johnny's awesome and close-knit biker gang from the Lost and the Damned will never see another day in the sun, it's nice to know that After Hours will be bringing back Gay Tony to usher us into the nightlife. While Luis Lopez is nowhere to be seen, that may be for the best - last we saw of him, he wanted to focus on his family and start living large in Liberty City.   ---   Are you happy Rockstar brought back Gay Tony? What other past Rockstar characters do you want to see them revisit?

Comment 26

• Joshua Dylan Wilson LV.5 Lurker Aug 12, 2018, 06:02 PM

You do know that grand theft auto online is before the story line. They could still bring Johnny back but it’d be up to them. In story line they destroyed Merryweather and if I’m not mistaken they killed agent 14.

• Captaindoody77 LV.18 Wild West Jul 25, 2018, 12:16 PM

This was so well spoken, I thought the exact same thing when I played GTA years ago, I really loved Johnny as a character. As for Luis , he kind of makes a cameo in the nightclub trailer but it’s more of a player created character to look like him, if you go into your nightclub and look at gay Tony’s desk you see a framed picture of Luis, Atleast id think it was him.

• Edwin Omar Ocon LV.1 Mootie Aug 9, 2018, 08:26 PM

My clup es el mejor tengo todo el mejor dj la fama todo aoy el rei del trapfico

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Aug 10, 2018, 01:59 AM

I think you're looking for the #mynightclub tab.

• Nerdforthewin LV.5 Lurker Aug 11, 2018, 03:05 AM

Gg

• Keira Mchoney LV.1 Mootie Aug 14, 2018, 02:04 AM

I want to play a game

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Aug 14, 2018, 02:21 AM

• Trent Flegel LV.1 Mootie Aug 20, 2018, 06:37 AM

I'm more upset about them nerfing the motorcycle clubs business.

• Hitta123 LV.1 Mootie Aug 25, 2018, 03:57 PM

I don't think the Lost getting into drugs is out of the ordinary whatsoever. Many organizations start out as anti-drug and such but eventually end up doing it out of necessity. Johnny was a tweeker by the time GTA V takes place so he could have pushed them to get into crank in order to satisfy his and Ashley's addiction. Of course, Trevor comes into play as someone who's done crank with them but he is a psychopath and not morally just like Johnny is. When Johnny gets jealous of Trevor and Ashley, he goes crazy and tries to muscle Trevor. However, he ends up looking like a little b***h because of the crank and how he doesn't have any willpower like he did before. You sound more caught in nostalgia than letting the story take place. It's about a 3-5 year difference between GTA:LATD and GTA V so the transition to drug pushing does seem plausible considering Johnny's addiction and his diminished value of self-worth.

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Sep 3, 2018, 08:00 AM

I think this would be fine if that wasn't literally an issue that was already dealt with explicitly in Lost and the Damned. But yes, a lot of it is nostalgia being trodded on. (I bet some people have issues with the new Voltron, too)

From what I remember of the story, Johnny's girlfriend is a drug addict that he rescues from her addiction repeatedly. He never followed her down this path before, so what changed?

I don't know that the Lost was ever really anti-drug, but Johnny was personally.

• Issacyangel LV.2 Lurker Sep 9, 2018, 07:00 AM

Hi

• chinofirst48 LV.2 Lurker Sep 11, 2018, 05:46 AM

Add me

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Sep 11, 2018, 06:16 AM

• Nerdforthewin LV.5 Lurker Aug 11, 2018, 03:05 AM

Gg

• James Wade LV.1 Mootie Aug 12, 2018, 02:02 PM

No

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Aug 12, 2018, 02:12 PM

• Ahmed Ra LV.2 Lurker Aug 13, 2018, 05:53 PM

Hood

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Aug 14, 2018, 01:41 AM

• Hakuna67Matata LV.2 Lurker Aug 14, 2018, 12:29 PM

Free stuff?

• Ninjero LV.20 Mod Aug 16, 2018, 03:22 AM

The #Nightclub Contest just ended! I bet they'll start a new Contest not long after results are tallied. Just make sure to check out the Daily Moot / Moot Points for the latest info.

• Nerdforthewin LV.5 Lurker Aug 14, 2018, 01:48 PM

Hi

• Nerdforthewin LV.5 Lurker Aug 14, 2018, 01:48 PM

Hi

• Nerdforthewin LV.5 Lurker Aug 14, 2018, 01:57 PM

Lol

Home