IRCrosshairs IRCrosshairs verified LV.21 S
Mar 6, 2019, 05:03 AM 1,935 read

I tried Apex on the PS4 and it went horribly

I've been a PC player for several years now but I spent my entire childhood with a controller in my hand. I started out on the N64 but most of my serious gaming was done on the PS2 and PS3, and it was really those Playstation days that developed my passion for gaming and got me into the competitive scene. By the time games like MW2 and Black Ops 1 came around, using a controller was as natural as walking with my own two legs. My friends were just as good, and we would regularly top the MLG leaderboards.   Fast forward to today - well, yesterday to be precise - and I was visiting one of my old gaming buddies for his birthday. I had previously told him about Apex and although he doesn't have much time for serious gaming anymore, he managed to get in a few games and was loving it. So naturally, after the party was over, a few us went into the gaming room and ran a few hours worth of Apex on his PS4. I haven't played a console game since Black Ops 2 on the PS3 so I didn't expect to be great, but I also didn't expect things to go quite so badly.

They say if you don't use it you lose it, but part of me felt that using a controller would be like riding a bike. Apparently not. I felt like my dad when he would try to play games with me when I was a kid.   I don't think the problem is necessarily the controller itself, but more so just how different and complex the games are now. Back in those Call of Duty days all you had to do was move, aim, shoot, and reload. With a game like Apex there's so much going on and there's only so many buttons on the controller; you simply can't do everything at once like you can on PC. The biggest place where I noticed this was with looting and inventory management.   Scrolling through deathboxes and cleaning things out of your inventory takes a lot of time on the controller and is a multi-step process. And you can't really move around while doing it because it takes both joysticks to navigate. It's these types of things that really put console players at a disadvantage, not aim. That's not to say that my aim was perfect or even good, but by the end of the night I could aim pretty reliably.   The biggest difference with aiming is that on PC you can flick your shots which makes guns like the Wingman much stronger, whereas on console you really can't afford to spend the time taking your crosshairs off your target and putting them back on again; you really want to track on console. Another thing I noticed is the huge discrepancy between regular sensitivity and ADS sensitivity. Why is ADS so much slower? It literally feels like half the speed. If I set them both to 5, they should both be the same speed; there's no reason to not let the player determine the ratio of regular to ADS (for reference, there is no ADS sensitivity on PC. Instead, there's an ADS multiplier which makes your ADS speed a % of your regular sensitivity).   Now this is not to say that it was some horrible tragic experience. I got some kills, got some second places, and generally held my own. But it was certainly an eye-opening experience about all the little advantages that PC players have over console players. People seem to get so caught up in the aim discussion (where there's a small advantage) that they completely overlook all of the other parts of the game where there's a huge advantage. The simple fact of the matter is that Apex is a very mechanically intensive game which just straight up favors PC.   I know Apex is planning to come out with cross-play soon, so it will be interesting to see just how big the discrepancy is once high level console players face off against high level PC players.

Comment 0

Home