Invisible Hamster LV.25 Doubloon Digger
Jan 31, 2019, 09:16 AM 1,330 read

Why Rainbow 6 Siege will be the next big Esport

I first played Rainbow 6 Siege back in August and I instantly fell in love. Although I don’t have time to play much anymore, I started watching some Pro League matches to satisfy the craving. I’m a huge fan of esports in general (especially League of Legends) and I wasn’t sure what to expect from Siege. There’s a lot of tactical components that come into play at the highest levels - success in Siege is very much a battle of inches, not miles. How would the viewing experience be when every little thing that each player does is so important?   The Pro League answers this question beautifully. Despite having so much going on, they do a great job of not only showing you what each member of each team is doing, but explaining it as well. This erased my fears about the viability of Siege as a spectator sport, and since then I’ve been enjoying every game I watch. Here’s a few reasons why I think Pro League has a real chance to become the next big esport:

Rainbow Six: General - Why Rainbow 6 Siege will be the next big Esport image 2

1. Siege is NOT a battle royale Even though games like Fortnite, PUBG, and Blackout have massive playerbases and tons of views on Twitch, they suck from an esport perspective. It’s impossible to follow around all 100 players which means you’re inevitably gonna miss some of the best action. Not only that but since you’re likely rooting for one player (rather than a team), you’re better off just watching that person’s personal stream rather than hoping they get some airtime on the official stream. In Siege you're always on top of the action and you can follow your favorite players and your favorite team all at the same time.   2. Siege is a strategic shooter with multiple ways to win Siege is so much more dynamic than other shooters. With other shooting games you spend most of the time just waiting for a fight to break out because there’s literally nothing else to do. There’s no such thing as downtime in Siege - something important is always happening. Whenever you’re not in a fight, you’re setting a trap, hacking devices, scouting with cameras, etc. And all of these things help build up the tension and give you, the viewer, special information which puts you on the edge of your seat when the eventual fight breaks out.   3. Siege has big name teams As I mentioned earlier, I’m a huge esports fan in general. I understand how big branding is for esports teams because the fan bases carry over. I’m a huge Cloud9 fan from LoL which made it easy for me to pick a favorite team when I started watching esports like Overwatch. Siege’s Pro League has some of the biggest teams in the world, including G2, Faze, Fnatic, and Evil Geniuses. This is a great sign for the future of Pro League because it shows the best teams in the world want a piece of the action and they will bring their fans and viewers along with them.   Even though Siege is an “old” game it’s still growing bigger and bigger. There’s the loyal players who have been playing since day 1 and there’s also brand new players falling in love with the game every day. Siege has the perfect recipe to become the next big esport and I don’t think there’s anything that can stand in its way.   #ProLeague

Comment 11

• lyghti28 LV.8 Epic Jan 31, 2019, 11:24 AM

My pp hard

• NightSpray LV.20 Good Leader Jan 31, 2019, 09:41 AM

I can get behind this for sure.
    Rainbow Six is gonna be the next big esports because of the strategies you can use to win. So many variables that can cause a win / loss.

• Skag LV.19 Happy Halloween! Jan 31, 2019, 12:48 PM

It's on the track to being a massive e-sports game and it already kinda is but ubi needs to start focusing more on the problems and sending out patches more often and not letting operators that are overpowered stay that way for half a year or more and glitches that have been in the game for 2 Seasons now and work on the toxicity it's getting to a point that's unacceptable to only release major patches every 3 months ubi has the funds to be more on the ball about it. These problems are starting to show up in pro league matches. I love this game but it has major problems that keeps it from being the best it can be right now

• schnozzleberg LV.3 Lurker Jan 31, 2019, 03:05 PM

Did Ubisoft make a new classic? A game to go down in the annals of history as one of the very best competitive experiences in gaming? Why, I do think so.

• Ninja KV LV.2 Lurker Jan 31, 2019, 08:54 PM

Cool

• Apache LV.13 Chief Feb 1, 2019, 01:02 AM

It kind of already is pretty big in Esports. Tournaments are hosted all year round, Six Invitationals is massive every year and there are Pro Leagues throughout the year, not to mention the massive cash prizes for those Pro Leagues and the Invitationals!

But 100% agree!

• Westcoastronin70 LV.7 Team Player Jan 31, 2019, 05:15 PM

Lol

• NvNaSTy_ESL LV.3 Lurker Feb 18, 2019, 01:36 AM

Hi

• NO NAME verified Feb 21, 2019, 02:37 PM

Br's aren't big with esports so the first point is irrelevant. I think you have some bias towards BR's....

• NO NAME verified Feb 21, 2019, 02:40 PM

But I do agree that siege should be the new big esport...competitive based to it's core

But here's the article on why BR's don't mix with esports well. You are correct
    https://www.gamerevolution.com/features/470601-problem-royale-esports

• PRÆŶ LV.22 Insomniac Feb 22, 2019, 09:56 AM

who all plays on ps4

Home