drTaperdown verified LV.19 Big Chungus
Oct 13, 2020, 11:28 AM 386 read

Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet

Guides
Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 1

Prior to its rework, Chalet was uncomfortable to play on – for defenders and attackers alike. There were relatively few positions to hold angles from, without feeling like you were overly exposed or risking getting caught out by someone on flank watch. Kitchen/Trophy and Garage/Wine tended to be the favored sites. Since the rework, it appears that the strongest site is now Master Bedroom and Office. In my personal opinion, Bar and Gaming make for a better second but many teams prefer Garage since it's more familiar. I also believe that Kitchen/Trophy (now Kitchen/Dining) takes the cake for worst site of the map – though this may prove false in time. Roaming, while strong before, is significantly stronger now, leaving effective roam-clear and flank-watch even more essential than before.  

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 3

Wamai came into Operation Shifting Tides as the Kenyan partner to Kali, and the first to join her private military company, NIGHTHAVEN. He is a two-armor, two-speed defender with an appealing arsenal fit for most players. His gadget requires a more patient approach though, and dying early means being much less effective, similar to Lesion. He works best as an anchor, whether on or off-site, but he can lurk near site as well, readily rotating to supply his teammates with his utility.   WAMAI’S GADGET Wamai’s Mag-Nets are discs that intercept all attacker projectile gadgets, including Capitao’s crossbow bolts, but excluding Hibana’s X-Kairos pellets. The projectiles are redirected and drawn towards the Mag-Net, triggering on their position instead after a few seconds. This makes them very effective at protecting bulletproof gadgets from being destroyed with explosives. Since they can be thrown and have a large range, they are fairly versatile, but there is a brief delay before activating.   Position your discs carefully so explosives are not drawn towards your teammate’s gadgets. Similarly, positioning them grouped next to each other can cause them all to be blown up with a single grenade, so space them out when possible. Wamai obtains up to five Mag-Nets over the course of the round. He begins the round with one, and gains another every forty seconds, obtaining all five just before the final minute of the round. Throughout the round, it is useful to keep at least one in your pocket to use reactively. If you predict the enemy team will bring Ace, you may wish to hide your first disc outside the main reinforced wall in attempt to deny one of his Selmas. It can also be useful to hide them outside windows near site that attackers commonly try to throw grenades from.   LOADOUT

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 5

Wamai enjoys the choice between either the Aug A2 or the MP5K. The AUG is one of the few assault rifles available to defenders, and it packs a powerful punch. Run it with your preferred 1x sight and either the flash hider or compensator. You may also equip it with the suppressor without suffering significant damage penalty; you will still kill attackers with the same number of bullets. If you want a higher fire-rate weapon, bring the MP5K with either the flash hider or compensator. You can equip it with a 1.5x scope as well, which will make it easier to land those headshots. Since the SMG features poor DPS, headshots will be key to winning your gunfights. As for secondaries, bring the Keratos if you fancy a hand cannon with awesome stopping power and some destructive capabilities. But if you prefer a more traditional pistol, you have access to the P12 as well.   The Deployable Shield is usually the ideal choice for Wamai, as it synergizes well with his Mag-Nets. Use your discs to soak utility while protecting your shield as long as possible. Use the shield to create additional positions for defenders to play on or near site while watching key areas. While covering these areas you can prefire at attackers thanks to the intel gained via the see-through slits.   The Proximity Alarm is perhaps not as strong as the Deployable Shield, but can be helpful for alerting your team to flanks. It may even be preferred if your team already has plenty of bulletproof gadgets that need protecting. Use the alarms to give you a heads up when attackers try sneaking through a key area to access site. Since you know where attackers will try pushing from, you can prepare by lobbing a disc or two in that direction.   DEFENDER BOMBSITES

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 7

BOMB SITE 1 – Master Bedroom [2F] and Office [2F] The main approach to this site comes through Fireplace Hall. Teams pushing here will mostly clear Library and establish flank watch so they can breach Office and plant in the pocket by Wine Rack. In addition, they may send someone onto East Balcony to pressure Office further and West Balcony to pressure Piano. Holding Piano and Bathroom with a rotate or two in Closet creates more opportunities to control site perimeter. If attackers don't take control of East Balcony, use the window to your advantage as an angle or rotate against attackers in Fireplace. Garden is not a common option for main pushes, but it is a prime candidate for flanking attackers, so keep an eye on it. Lastly, attackers can rappel Master window, but there are so many run-out opportunities that it is a bit of a death wish.   Place your shield flush with the Cabinet to give you a nice position to anchor from. From there you can set up a nice angle watching East Balcony door. To complete this position, reinforce the entire corner.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 9

I personally like a rotate through Closet to Bathroom, but if attackers are problematically pressuring this window, you may wish to reinforce this entire wall.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 11

As for this wall in Closet, I like to reinforce the right wall and create two holes providing a straight line of sight onto East Balcony. But I could see a case for a hole being made on the right as well. Either way, a complete rotate should be made to give you safe passage through Piano. Just keep in mind this is a two way passage - but it is typically much more difficult for attackers to access.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 13

Given that flanks may come through these windows or this staircase in Garden, you may need to invest some frisbees to negate this push.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 15

This shield makes it quite difficult for attackers to make headway through Piano Room. It provides great views onto Piano window and the wide doorway.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 17

The Couches offer some decent cover to use while rotating through a rotate to your immediate left, or you can swing over onto ping for a nice fallback position. In general the rafters provide excellent locations for your discs.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 19

BOMB SITE 2 – Bar [2F] and Gaming Room [2F] Bar and Gaming was previously the least popular site in many ELOs – so most teams feel uncomfortable defending it. NOW, however, it offers quite a reliable defense! Since Gaming is difficult to penetrate, attackers are mostly forced to focus their assault on Library and Bar. This makes a push from Garden and Office the best bet for attacking teams. This approach is vulnerable to flank paths from Garden and features many destructible floors for roamers playing with C4s in Dining and Kitchen below. Site entrances can be defended by two anchors and one lurking Library Stairs to control perimeter. This player can also support whoever holds above in Library. The last can play C4s below the attackers' approach and possibly flank.   This basic setup, with the far right wall also being reinforced provides plenty of lines of sight while also creating additional cover since there is not much in the way of cover between the two sites other than the Bar itself. While someone with a shotgun should be completing this task, I figured it worth sharing so you can show your friends or use on other operators since the site is so different!

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 21

These two walls and the hatch on ping complete the basic site setup. This leaves your team with 4 extra rotates to use either upstairs or in Fireplace. If possible, make sure there is either a Mute jammer or Bandit battery protecting the Stock wall.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 23

You don't need a shield if you wish to play the Bar position, and there are other positions with Bar itself which offer some decent cover. In fact, the reinforcement behind you keeps you protected from Gaming window. But I would recommend bringing a shield anyways!

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 25

Place your shield here in Gaming on Pool table to give cover and intel on attackers pressuring Gaming window. I recommend using at least 2 discs initially to protect this shield since it keeps defenders safe while they rotate between Stock and Bar.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 27

BOMB SITE 3 – Kitchen [1F] and Dining Room [1F] This was previously the community favorite in most ELOs. Now though, it is quite difficult to hold onto Trophy since the staircase provides attackers with an easy pinch. This creates a common pressure point to be wary of. There are also a surplus of Soft Walls surrounding Site demanding reinforcements, and not a ton of cover in the site itself. The Kitchen Hallway is going to be a powerful position to hold onto, but can potentially be exposed to many angles and requires finesse to work properly. The main breach seems to come through Fireplace with a Dining Wall breach. And attackers will split pressure either above, or on West main, or Trophy. But the meta is still early and developing.   Dining and Kitchen is incredibly awkward to hold without proper usage of reinforcements. Now I am not positive I have found the best combination, but what I have found is currently working! But I still think this site is sub-optimal... The strategy is focused around enabling this position as a highly-influential position to hold.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 29

I prefer rotates to be made in both of these positions, though if you prefer you could probably make due with just one and potentially reinforce the other. This Power Position works to control Kitchen hallway and prevent attackers from dropping hatch, while simultaneously covering the Dining breach and doorway.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 31

Definitely reinforce Kitchen hatch! I prefer leaving a line of sight to watch Trophy window and scare attackers from hopping in. Reinforcing the panel next to it gives a nice corner to hold while watching Trophy window or West Main.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 33

How you use the remainder of your reinforcements between these two walls is up to you and largely depends on anticipating the attack strategy. You can ALSO forego the reinforcements on the Power Position to instead reinforce BOTH. I haven't figured out which walls are most important yet but it may be that you want to reinforce all four of these. It depends on how strong a West-Main push ends up being.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 35

Lastly, you can place a shield watching West Main window and Stairs. And if you have multiple shields I would highly suggest this one, particularly if you skipped out on the reinforcements in Kitchen Hall. This is my preferred approach currently.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 37

BOMB SITE 4 – Snowmobile Garage [1F] and Wine Cellar [1F] This site can be easily attacked if they bring multiple hard breachers and just blow all the walls open. If this is allowed, there are very few places left to sit in site safely. The site is best held from Connector (between sites) and 90 Hall (Blue Hallway) with another anchor in either Garage or Wine. Roamers should work on delaying control over Fireplace or delaying the breaches.   Holding Blue Hall is now more important and effective than before. And it was already super important! You might as well set up shop and start chucking Frisbees.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 39

Another solid position to hold which can set up crossfires on the Garage Door breach is this shield. From here you can have a decent influence on plant attempts.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 41

Another possible shield placement is here, particularly if you expect a Back side push, which is currently quite common and effective. In fact the ease with which attackers breach all sides of site is one of the reasons this site is currently so tough to defend. You can probably get away with hiding a disc by the Boiler in Trench if you expect Ace to breach that wall.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 43

From this shield you can influence both the default plant (on ping) and Blue Hall through this rotate and soft wall.

Rainbow Six: Guides - Guide to Playing Wamai on Chalet image 45

Comment 18

• ncastee LV.8 Nomad Oct 14, 2020, 03:29 PM

i actually play like this on ps4 and it's really good and easy to build a strat like this

• drTaperdown verified LV.19 Big Chungus Oct 15, 2020, 02:33 PM

totally. after spending some time tearing up the map and exploring the angles and reinforcements I feel like it's actually quite a versatile map. the community is just slow to adapt.

• It’s me Wavey LV.6 Nomad Oct 13, 2020, 12:06 PM

He is not lying about how weird it is

• drTaperdown verified LV.19 Big Chungus Oct 13, 2020, 12:13 PM

how do you mean?

• It’s me Wavey LV.6 Nomad Oct 13, 2020, 12:14 PM

The first couple of sentences of you read it

• drTaperdown verified LV.19 Big Chungus Oct 13, 2020, 12:22 PM

Oh yeah - Total Flip! Everyone still wants to go basement first and says the map is just trash I'm pulling my hair out lol.

• It’s me Wavey LV.6 Nomad Oct 13, 2020, 12:23 PM

Yea

• It’s me Wavey LV.6 Nomad Oct 13, 2020, 12:23 PM

Let’s be friends add me on ps4 at Phased_ABS0617

• drTaperdown verified LV.19 Big Chungus Oct 13, 2020, 12:25 PM

Im on PC :/ Wish crossplay were a thing - hit up XCm2403X. Good teammate to have on PS4.

• It’s me Wavey LV.6 Nomad Oct 13, 2020, 12:26 PM

drTaperdown  Ok thanks then

• It’s me Wavey LV.6 Nomad Oct 13, 2020, 12:28 PM

drTaperdown  I tried to add him he had to send me one

• leafy LV.17 Avatar Oct 13, 2020, 05:12 PM

lol

• RiValSuPReMe LV.3 GG Oct 13, 2020, 10:57 PM

Bad bleep

• DARK6969 LV.8 GG Oct 17, 2020, 12:28 PM

thanks, this helps a lot

• Stollen Gamers LV.7 Nomad Oct 17, 2020, 09:30 PM

thank you

• Mysterious gamer LV.7 Nomad Oct 18, 2020, 05:17 AM

Thx

• drTaperdown verified LV.19 Big Chungus Oct 18, 2020, 08:35 AM

mos def! check out my Goyo guide for chalet as well for some other helpful info. him and wamai go perfect together.

• PepeTheFrogTookTheL LV.6 Best Squadmate Oct 18, 2020, 10:48 PM

nice

Home